Dive gear retail on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike T73, Leisurepro to my knowledge is not a LDS. Just a mail order business based in New York. Any NY divers please correct me if I am wrong.

IMO, a local dive shop is one in your community or vacation community that sells, supports, services, repairs,and usually rents gear out as well as teaching diving skills. My local dive shop recently provided service for me in < 24 hrs on a Sunday when I had a reg issue discovered shortly before going on a trip. I consider the staff at my LDS to be friends. I've known them for years and they have taught my wife and daughter how to dive, as well as helping us with numerous equipment issues. Even walking into the shop is a treat. There is a distinct smell of neoprene and everyone in the shop, customer and staff, is a diver.

I've frequented Bruce Bowker's shop on Bonaire for years as well. He has been great for providing advice, trouble shooting equipment issues that come up on trips, doing repairs and also buying gear from when necessary. In fact, I've bought a Scubapro reg and several wetsuits there for less than US prices. I've seen him go out of his way to get a repair done quickly so that someone on holiday could get back out diving same day. He has a modest hotel with fair pricing and runs boat dives as well. Bruce has been helping people enjoy diving for years and is something of a legend. I'm sure that others have similar stories about Dive Friends, Buddy dive and other shops. Between them, I'm confident they will have every standard size and brand of wetsuit to meet the OPs needs.

The prices in my LDS and the shops on Bonaire may be slightly higher than mail order but they are providing a totally different level of service.

In principle, I very much like to see local dive shops supported near home and at vacation locations. I'm not talking philanthropy, just common consideration. If we don't support our LDSs they will be out of business and we will be stuck with distant internet providers like Leisurepro.

This is not where the OP started but I am glad it came up. MikeT73, if you really are a DM candidate, as your profile suggests, you might want to work at a LDS someday, I sure hope they aren't all gone by then.

Divers Supply, which similarly has a big on-line presence, is also a LDS--their stores are great. They have four locations: Jacksonville, Macon, Charlotte, and Atlanta/Marietta. I was surprised to learn that lots of people all over the US know Divers Supply only as an on-line retailer. Like many SB'ers, I also have ordered stuff from Dive Right In Scuba in Illinois, which is someone else's LDS. I'm happy to support local dive shops, whoever they may be "local" to.

My definition of a LDS is someone I can get an airfill from. That is a little awkward on line.....

My definition of a LDS is someone I can get an airfill from. That is a little awkward on line.....

That's a reasonable definition. (And just out of curiosity, can one get a fill at LeisurePro in Manhattan?) In some of the many threads discussing the fate of the traditional brick-and-mortar LDS, it was suggested that the future LDS might be basically a place to get fills, gear service, training, and maybe travel services, without gear sales. The question is how they could make that profitable without gear sales subsidizing those services.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the fill shops on Bonaire are at risk of going out of business without gear sales to supplement their revenue.

I really like "Your Scuba Store" in Bonaire. I had a broken mask and I was chilly so I bought a mask and thicker wetsuit there. The people there are really helpful and nice and the prices were similar to back home. They had a huge selection of wetsuits of all thicknesses. I don't remember what other brands they carry but I got a Waterproof one. There are a bunch of stores to buy gear at on Bonaire so I would just wait and buy when you are there...then you can try a bunch on in person!

There are some things you buy online, no big deal.However, there are some things you really should buy at your LDS. Things that need servicing, repair, or proper fitment are a few of those things. If you want it to work/fit right, go to your LDS. Support the people and the shops that you will be depending on to take care of the after the sale issues. A guy in a warehouse somewhere doesnt give a crap about any of that. Nor does he care that you are on a timeline. Will you pay more? More than likely. So what, as long as its in reason. The service you will need in the future is worth every penny. I have bought a ton of stuff from places like Leisure Pro, and will in the future. I will also continue to purchase the above things from my LDS, and support them when I can, as I need them as much as they need me.
To the OP, I am in WA state also. What part of the state are you in, perhaps I may be able to suggest a shop not far from where you reside. As you continue your journey into scuba adventure, your needs will grow, and some of them will need to be satisfied by a LDS. Might be good to find one that is reasonably close, or worth a little drive.

Last edited:
We do not have an LDS convenient to our home./QUOTE]

My advice was predicated on the OP's statement that they do not have a LDS. A shop in Bonaire is NOT any more local then most online retailers who maintain a brick and mortar storefront.

To those who suggested a mail in dive supplier, shame on you. Much better to support your local dive shop or the shops in Bonaire who struggle to stay in business and provide service.

A trip like the one the OP has planned is a rather expensive one, IMO. I wouldn't want to risk my enjoyment, placing a lot of trust in a remote dive shops inventory... but that's just me. Oh, and he'll be supporting the Bonaire economy in general, as he spends a few thousand dollars there on his trip... just my 2 psi.

I have not seen it mentioned so I will chime in. You NEED hard soled booties for diving Bonaire. The shoreline is mostly coral rubble and/or ironstone, both are very rough on the feet. Full foot fins or the soft sock like booties are not up to shore diving on Bonaire so I would highly suggest you invest in a pair of hard soled booties to go with your wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom