Dive gear express double braided hoses? Impressions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This past weekend at my wife's certification class, one of the instructors HP 6" hose for her transmitter disintegrated at the metal coupling. The dive shop owner suggested it was from "knock off" braided hoses. I have all dive gear express double braided hoses on my wife's Deep6 reg set up. He looked at them and said they were not miflex and they were the cheaper knock off's. SO my question is; does anyone have any negative impressions of dive gear express double braided hose's?

I haven't tried miflex. I do have several DGX hoses, and they seem fine to me. They're quite flexible. I can't speak on durability, since I've only had mine a couple months.

I use the DGX double braided for everything except my long hose which is rubber. I don’t have any issues.

he's talking crap because he doesn't sell them. I get the same thing sometimes with "online" dive gear. I dive what makes sense to me, and what gets good reviews here from experienced divers. Most shops have sales as their agenda, and their rhetoric is often negative towards brands they don't carry.

I think 6in hp hoses are flawed as they’re to rigid under pressure.

The braided hoses require regular replacement because they fail catastrophically. If you buy a genuine miflex, you'll get a piece of paper with the hose where the manufacturer tells you all about it. All braided hoses should be disposed of and replaced at 5 years.

So yes, it's a thing. Not related to "knock off" braided hoses at all - as miflex themselves will tell you. If you're going to use braided you need to maintain them differently than you would rubber.

If you search for threads on the topic, I posted a photo of that piece of paper to scubaboard a couple years ago. Also, DAN has some good photos of what a failed hose looks like. Basically the rubber inside the hose hardens and cracks apart into small chunks or "crystals." The crystals dislodge from the hose and clog whatever is downstream from your first stage - in your case it was a transmitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom