Dive gear express double braided hoses? Impressions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think miflex has changed the inner formulation since 2012 when they recalled the hoses. I will say the instructor said the hose was 6 years old. The hose itself was fine. It was the metal connection to the transmitter that broke in half

I will say the 6-inch high pressure hose is shorter than 6-inches & wish I got the 9-inch instead.
So do I, I’ve broken 2 of them. If you lay them back the tank in side mount you have to bend them 180• to see the gauge.

So do I, I’ve broken 2 of them. If you lay them back the tank in side mount you have to bend them 180• to see the gauge.
I just do 90 degrees and squint. :)

But yes, I have not seen anything that makes me think the Taiwan hoses are any worse than the Italian ones. Maybe better QC in Italy, that's about it. I am confident I am better off by feeling fine tossing a $20 hose from DGX if I feel anything about it is off than trying to "rescue" a $40-50 Miflex. That's just me, but knowing how much I am saving makes me feel much more willing to toss a hose.

I just do 90 degrees and squint. :)

But yes, I have not seen anything that makes me think the Taiwan hoses are any worse than the Italian ones. Maybe better QC in Italy, that's about it. I am confident I am better off by feeling fine tossing a $20 hose from DGX if I feel anything about it is off than trying to "rescue" a $40-50 Miflex. That's just me, but knowing how much I am saving makes me feel much more willing to toss a hose.
That's a great point. I've bought a number of used regulators, and often don't know the condition of those hoses or suspect the hoses might be old or abused. Being able to replace hoses at $20/each makes it easy to justify the expense.

I often will keep the old hoses, label them (length, hose-type, and estimated quality), and keep them as spares. A few I've used for testing setups with different hose-lengths, and few went to my pony-bottle-regulators that I practically never use. I always have a spare LP hose, HP hose, and BCD hose of "medium-quality" that I would be willing to use myself or give away to a stranger.

I've used the DGX braided hoses, hp & lp, for a few (4-5) years now with no problems. Not a 6" hose though.

Yesterday I was on a dive with my favorite regulator. One of the original Legends. I had replaced the hose with a braided one years ago, don't remember how long ago. Yesterday while diving I heard a crack noise that sound to me like an electric spark. It happened several more times on a one hour shallow dive. I have been diving for 59 yrs and have about 7 other regulators; so on the second dive I used a SEA/G250, no such noise heard. With no sending unit on the first stage, the only thing I can think of is the braided hose failing. I have replaced it with a rubber hose to see if that solves the mystery. Wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience.

Yesterday I was on a dive with my favorite regulator. One of the original Legends. I had replaced the hose with a braided one years ago, don't remember how long ago. Yesterday while diving I heard a crack noise that sound to me like an electric spark. It happened several more times on a one hour shallow dive. I have been diving for 59 yrs and have about 7 other regulators; so on the second dive I used a SEA/G250, no such noise heard. With no sending unit on the first stage, the only thing I can think of is the braided hose failing. I have replaced it with a rubber hose to see if that solves the mystery. Wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience.
Just speculating, but I wonder if that is related to the crystal-issue. Apparently, some of the older flex hoses would develop crystals inside. I don't know if the DGX brand had that issue, or if they've made changes, but I stumbled across this the other day on another website with similar hoses:

Double Braided Kevlar High Pressure Hoses

"Our hoses are made of HS-PVC which prevents the inner core from forming crystals and blocking the airflow."

I had a few punk, braided low-pressure inflator hoses, a while back, from DGX; but it was the crap -- leaky -- connectors which had been the issue, each time; not the integrity of the hose itself . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom