Dive Gear Express (DGX) SPGs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Anyone have experience with these custom DGX SPG units. If so, thoughts or experience? Looking for a brass-and-glass for my BP/W.

Thanks,
David

So, the page has, fundamentally, 3 different SPGs. I have some of each of them, they are very different.

The mini SPG, they're OK, quality is uneven with some fairly accurate and others not. Fine for seeing whether your pony bottle still has enough air in it to inflate the tires on your car. For actual diving probably ok for stage/pony bottles where the main purpose of the gauge is to confirm that the cylinder is still reasonably full before starting the dive.

The largest sizes, are brass and (tempered) glass SPGs, and as pointed out upthread, they're more or less the same as most of the other brass and glass SPGs currently on the market, which is to say they are fine if excessively thick and bulky.

The "thin" gauge, is thinner, and smaller in diameter, and has a non-replaceable plastic lens that will accumulate scratches over time. They are not in any way as durable as the brass and glass ones, but they aren't overly large, so I use them anyway.

These are not glass faces, they are plastic and will scratch over time. Normally the scratches are invisible underwater but eventually they can get pretty bad. You can refurbish the faces with an automotive headlight buffing kit for $20 usd which will buff out more scratched spgs than you could ever own.

These are not glass faces, they are plastic and will scratch over time. Normally the scratches are invisible underwater but eventually they can get pretty bad. You can refurbish the faces with an automotive headlight buffing kit for $20 usd which will buff out more scratched spgs than you could ever own.

Sorry but you are incorrect. The cressi is brass housing with glass face

“Materials
Case: Chrome Plated Brass, Lens: Glass”

...The mini SPG, they're OK, quality is uneven with some fairly accurate and others not. ...
I agree. I use the button on my pony, but some of them I've found to be 400 psi off. I know it's a button and more an 'indicator' that a gauge, but Dang just get it to 100psi accuracy and I'll be happy. The Dive Rite sold by DGX number RG-2750 has been the best and most accurate of the 1 inch buttons.

I'm not gentle on my equipment and tend to just abuse it. All the buttons are made from a thinner metal housing and if the face gets dented or slanted from being 'gear-bag-dropped', well that reading is toast.

My solution was an 1-1/2" PVC tee from home depot. Used a metal saw blade and cut out 2 slots in the tee to so the stage slides right into it for protection. In effect its a simple " Button Bunker Gauge Protector ". When I dive, I slide off the protective tee and ready to go, then put it back on when packing up my gear. Your 1st stage openings will be different, but for about a dollar and maybe an hour of cutting it will protect your buttons.

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

I agree. I use the button on my pony, but some of them I've found to be 400 psi off. I know it's a button and more an 'indicator' that a gauge, but Dang just get it to 100psi accuracy and I'll be happy. The Dive Rite sold by DGX number RG-2750 has been the best and most accurate of the 1 inch buttons.

I'm not gentle on my equipment and tend to just abuse it. All the buttons are made from a thinner metal housing and if the face gets dented or slanted from being 'gear-bag-dropped', well that reading is toast.

My solution was an 1-1/2" PVC tee from home depot. Used a metal saw blade and cut out 2 slots in the tee to so the stage slides right into it for protection. In effect its a simple " Button Bunker Gauge Protector ". When I dive, I slide off the protective tee and ready to go, then put it back on when packing up my gear. Your 1st stage openings will be different, but for about a dollar and maybe an hour of cutting it will protect your buttons.

View attachment 499815

View attachment 499817

Holy crap. WTF. Go to home depot and buy an appropriate sized piece of rubberized tubing that you can push the button spg thru the center without it being loose. There's a million choices. Cut a piece long enough that it sticks up over the lip/glass of the spg a 1/4 inch. Bang. You've got a much less ghetto spg protector you never need to take off or be embarassed to have your dive buddies see.

Back
Top Bottom