Dive gear express 1st stage holding tool strips threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138, there is a lot of thread showing after screwing it in. I am very gentle about tightening things on my regs, except where they call for tightness and then I always use a torque wrench. With the tool, I only screw it in till it touches the end and I don't tighten it much, just finger tight.

Ok I took a closer look at the tool and my regs and I might have been mistaken about where the metal bits are coming from. It might be coming from the plating of the tool itself and not the regs, as rings of shiny metal are starting to show on the 1st stage holding tool.

WhiteSands, I only have experience with several Leverage Bar variations from Scubatools. But all of them have short threads that just barely reach the end of the First Stage port. The rest of the shaft is then thicker and butts up to the first stage, so you cannot break threads by over tightening.

Brass is a pretty soft metal. Had a few first stages dropped by dive volunteers from sitting height and you can see flattened indents in the body afterwards. Breaking threads isn't so hard, especially if your tool is Stainless Steel.

There is a possibility with your tool. I've had moments where I overtighten or loosen my Reg on the Leverage bar when the whole thing's strapped in a vice and I'm torquing something. So just be warned and careful.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 09:05 AM ----------

You can get a SS pick and start shaving the bar handle to see if you get similar metal bits. Might give you some peace of mind?

Either you're overtightening, or the threads are poorly cut on either your 1st stage or the tool.

More than likely, you're overtightening. The amount of torque for a hose port is only about 30-40 in-lb.

Too bad Agatha Christie bit the bullet - the mysteries of this thread would have provided novels-worth of entertainment in her hands, unless she over tightened the plot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom