Dive Flag Law Again!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kirwoodd:
I guess.
When I drop into the water from Boston to north side of Cape Ann, I cant tell where I am. I don't look around underwater and say "this feels like Cape Ann".

But if you can tell the differance, then I see your point.

Since yo probably live in or near Boston tht's an easy drive for you. I happen to enjoy diving OGB quite a bit. I plan to keep diving there. I drive into Boston for business on a daily basis for work. I'm certainly not going to go through the Boston traffic to go diving, nfw.

I see you pull an underwater protest to the new law. Where ever the lobsterman put their traps you go dive with a hundred people and surround the area with flags, not allowing them to legally get to their traps. Maybe that's me just being spiteful.

Medic0506:
I see you pull an underwater protest to the new law. Where ever the lobsterman put their traps you go dive with a hundred people and surround the area with flags, not allowing them to legally get to their traps. Maybe that's me just being spiteful.
Let's assume that the harbormaster actually allowed your protest to go ahead, not arrest you for interfering with commerce or whatever the infractions are (IANAL), and allowed constant re-supply of air and/or divers for weeks or months on end. We'll ignore the amusing logistics for the sake of argument.

The problem with taking revenge* is that by targeting random members of a group of which only a portion - likely a small portion - have actually done you harm, you will very likely cause difficulty for a person innocent of wronging you. The probable result is you make a foe of someone who previously was not against you (and who might even have been sympathetic to you), and of that person's friends and allies too. If you ever want to hurt your cause, that's an effective way to do so. [sarcasm] On the other hand, it's certainly worked well for Shiite vs. Sunni and in places ranging from Sri Lanka to the Gaza Strip to the gangs of Boston, so why not try it? [/sarcasm] But seriously, though taking the high road requires more patience and self-control, it usually reaps far better rewards in the end. Gandhi did not win by force.

*Actually, there are many problems with revenge, but given that this forum is dedicated to scuba, not confict and its resolution, I am limiting my off-topic comments.

I dove Folly and Niles on Sat. I also called the harbormaster and left a message. To my surprise he called me back and was very nice and explained that he can grant a waiver for a large group. Very nice on the phone and it appears that he realizes that this is a potentially dangerous situation. I didn't see anyone checking flags this weekend. Just call ahead.

STOGEY:
I happen to enjoy diving OGB quite a bit. I plan to keep diving there.
Me too, but OGB isn't in Gloucester, it's in Rockport. So are Pebble, Folly, Cat, Back/Front, and most of the other Cape Ann sites I like.

Mitchell:
Just call ahead.

Pshaw! I wouldn't go out of my way to obey a totally unreasonable law. You know, if you give them your finger, you will get your hand bitten off. Next thing, they will make a law where you will need to ask the lobstermen for permission to dive and do so where there are no lobster traps (where would that be?).

MSilvia:
Me too, but OGB isn't in Gloucester, it's in Rockport. So are Pebble, Folly, Cat, Back/Front, and most of the other Cape Ann sites I like.

Matt, just for clarification, Folly Coves's mostly in Gloucester. :)

Dave C

MSilvia:

True but I bet the dive flag laws in Gloucester aren't that far away from being implemented in Rockport.

dave4868:
Matt, just for clarification, Folly Coves's mostly in Gloucester. :)

Dave C

Some people always have to have the last word don't they.:D

Back
Top Bottom