Dive conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vidiotic

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how the conditions compare at Galapogos to somewhere like Current city (Komodo). Is the diving that challenging?

Also, can anyone recommend a good liveaboard apart from the agressor fleet as I simply cannot afford them on top of everything else (Will be doing my IDC soon!)

Cheers

Current is highly variable. You could have almost no current on one dive and mask-ripping current on the next. I think that is a general statement that applies almost anywhere - be it Galapagos or Komodo. I had a tough night dive in Horseshoe Bay in Rinca one time until I let go and found the sheltered side of the rock. The next morning we had a very easy dive there.

Likewise, you will find the same to be true in Galapagos. This past October we had dives at Darwin where you could easily go out into the blue and back while chasing whalesharks. On other dives, you really didn't want to go after the whaleshark because you would never be able to get to it.

The thing that I have experienced in the Galapagos - both at Darwin and at Wolf - that I didn't in Komodo (not that it is not possible there, and for sure we were warned abou tthem anyway) are up and/or down currents - all in the same dive. Also in Wolf, sometimes you have quite a bit if surge sometimes.

Nonetheless, if you have been to Komodo, I'd say that on average you won't find it any tougher.

As for liveaboards, Peter Hughes's Sky Dancer, Galapagos Explorer and Deep Blue are all excellent boats. For info on the first two, go directly to their respective websites (Peter Hughes and the Explorer fleet). For Deep Blue, get a hold of Ken at Galapagos Adventures. His website is pretty informative about what to expect in the Galapagos. He can also hook you up with any of the boats. The rules on which boat can or cannot dive in the Galapagos keep changing, and Ken is pretty up-to-date on what boats are available.

I also dove both locations and I concur with Manuel Sam comment.

However, a significant difference between Galapagos and Komodo is temperature. Depending on the time of the year you visit Galapagos, I would recommend either a ful 5 or 7 mil wetsuit. Hood was an absolute must for me in Galapagos.

When I went to Galapagos I booked on the Daphne, a local boat, run by a local diving company based on Baltra (very professional). Nevertheles I understand that, starting on 2008, only the Aggressor and Peter Hughes are allowed to reach Darwin and Wolf. And you want to dive these two islands.

Back
Top Bottom