Dive conditions in Nags Head vs Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How big a difference is there in water temp and vis between the Nags Head area and diving out of Hatteras. I know the gulf stream comes closer to Hatteras, but the long boat rides to the wrecks is a pain. If Nags Head diving is close to the Hatteras conditions, I'd rather take a short ride to wrecks. Thanks for your opinions.

I really don't think you will notice much difference in boat ride times. Bill at Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina launches his charter boat from Wanchese & then its a good ride to get to the Oregon Inlet to begin the trip to get to depth. Not that this is a killer for me, I have dove with Bill & would not hesitate to do so again.
As far as conditions. Hatteras water temps will run in the lower to mid 70s ( at least this year, last year saw them in the 80s ), Nags Head will be lower 60s. Vis will depend on sites & currents when you are there. But average in Hatteras for me has been 50+ft & Nags Head again average for when I have been there is 20-30ft.
If I had an equal choice I would do Hatteras.

I second Rad's opinion. Nags Head is much more like VA diving, whereas Hatteras is similar to Morehead. Almost anywhere you go in NC is over an hour to get offshore- some boats are faster than others, but that also depends on sea conditions. If it is just that you don't like boat rides, try bringing something to do, eat your way out there (if your stomach has something to churn, you are less likely to hurl), and sleep if you can. Until you get further south, the rides are long, conditions can be, umm, interesting, If you go north, the vis deteriorates, but the wrecks can be closer to shore. Or further - the Eureka springs to mind.
-J

they are both right, hatterass, is just a little better, actually sometimes its a world better. and like he said, the boat ride just to get to the ocean is long going out of Wancheese (Manteo) plus you have to drive all the way over there from nags head.

Hatteras is on Diamond Shoals, as you go north you enter into the Labrador current and you will be in greener water with vis in the 25 to 40 foot range and temps that will be 10 to 20 degrees colder then on Diamond Shoals and to the south.

Hatteras will have warmer water, greater visibility but most likely greater current on the off shore wrecks. The current on the USS Monitor which is just about ¼ mile from the NOAA Diamond Shoals buoy will run from nothing up to 3+ knots at anytime.

Here is the link to the buoy's so you can see the temp on Diamond Shoals in real time.
NDBC - North Carolina Recent Marine Data

Thanks for the responses. I was kinda holding my breath for an answer I didn't expect to see. Still holding. :11doh: I figured Hatteras was better, but not having dove off Nags Head area before, I didn't want to guess. I live 30 miles west of Norfolk and was also hoping for a shorter drive to some good vis and temps off Nags Head. The wifey is an 80/80 diver (80 degrees, 80 ft vis) and there's no chance she'll bite on less. I suppose we'll be planning a trip to Hatteras. We've done wrecks out of Atlantic Beach, which was an OK drive. Been a while since I've seen Hatteras, so we'll shorten the car ride a bit, but keep the boat ride long. I'll bring a book or sleep. I imagine there will be more dive slots available after Labor Day, so we'll do something after then but before October. Thanks again guys.

they are both right, hatterass, is just a little better, actually sometimes its a world better. and like he said, the boat ride just to get to the ocean is long going out of Wancheese (Manteo) plus you have to drive all the way over there from nags head.

The boat from Wanchese takes about 30 minutes, from there most wrecks are 15-20 minutes away. Unless you are doing one of the deep/tech dives of course. This makes for an average 50-90 minute boat ride. That is normal for NC diving, including Hatteras, an much shorter than most charters in the Wilmington/Morehead area. Considering 30 minutes of the trip is just crossing the sound, that doesn't leave a lot of ocean riding time, great for those who get seasick. As for the drive "all the way over from Nags Head to Manteo" it takes about 10 minutes tops. Considering most of you vacationing there will have drove at minimum 2 hours, are you really going to complain about a 10 minute drive? besides, the drive there is really quite scenic and beautiful.

Thanks for the responses. I was kinda holding my breath for an answer I didn't expect to see. Still holding. :11doh: I figured Hatteras was better, but not having dove off Nags Head area before, I didn't want to guess. I live 30 miles west of Norfolk and was also hoping for a shorter drive to some good vis and temps off Nags Head. The wifey is an 80/80 diver (80 degrees, 80 ft vis) and there's no chance she'll bite on less. I suppose we'll be planning a trip to Hatteras. We've done wrecks out of Atlantic Beach, which was an OK drive. Been a while since I've seen Hatteras, so we'll shorten the car ride a bit, but keep the boat ride long. I'll bring a book or sleep. I imagine there will be more dive slots available after Labor Day, so we'll do something after then but before October. Thanks again guys.

Nags Head is much closer than Hatteras to you. The sometimes difference between the two areas really isn't worth the extra dive. I've dove with all area charters, and I have to say the gang at OBX Dive Center run the best outfit all around. There is a few others I sometimes use, but most I found to be very unsafe with very rude crews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom