Dive Conditions - Big Island - Tropical Storm Kilo / Flash Flood watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markiel

New
Reaction score
Flying to the BI on Wednesday. Wondering how the dive conditions are with tropical storm Kilo and the big rains flash floods.

We usually alternate between Puako and Two Step & Capt. Cook. Doing shore dives, snorkeling & free diving.

Any suggestions for sites that are more protected or would be less impacted by runoff later this week would be appreciated.

I was at puako yesterday. Blown out pretty bad. I was talking to a couple there that said Kona was in pretty good shape so two step and Capt. Cook should be good to go.

The swell is kicking up a bit and may be a hindrance for a few days and the only water I have seen in the last week has been pretty hazy. Down south would probably be a solid bet. It won't take long after this rain lets up to have our usual visibility back.

Thanks for the feedback... Will head south to start.

Looks like the weather isn't as bad today, hopefully, the predicted flooding wasn't too bad and the visibility will clear up a bit later in the week.
I'm hoping that the swell and weather cooperate for a few days up at Puako, as that's my favorite spot.

How is Frog Rock for a shore snorkel? We have hiked in to check it out, and it seems pretty deserted - which could mean great snorkeling in our own private cove or a more difficult entry/currents?

So I'm in kona now and its pouring hard. Flash flood watch has been extended until tomorrow. Plus there is a statewide brown water advisory. But I'm not sure what that means for the big island. Certainly you would want to stay out of the water near the bigger cities and towns.

But a place like two step is pretty rural. Should I be concerned about snorkeling tomorrow?

We are in Kona now and about to leave for our first dives. Clear and calm at the moment but by Monday winds are predicted to be 20-25 mph. I expect we will miss at least two days of diving if the current forecast holds.

We were told yesterday at the dive shop that vis was still about 100 feet.

Back
Top Bottom