Dive Conditions at St Andrews Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted a question on the FWC website asking about getting the rules changed in the state parks to allow lionfish harvesting with the spears designed specifically for said task: the reply came back from FWC:
Thank you for contacting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The response to your concerns appears below.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, please reply and let us know how we can assist you.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Lionfish at Jetties/State Parks
Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (MFM-AP)06/27/2013 12:16 PM
FWC rules and state park rules would have to be modified to allow limited spearfishing for lionfish around jetties and within the boundaries of state parks. While I am not aware of any progress and having the rules changed to allow limited spearing of lionfish in these areas, I will share your thoughts with our rulemaking team, and I encourage you to participate in a future meeting of the FWC Commission to share your ideas.

Florida's rules on spearfishing provide:

68B-20.003 Spearing, Statewide Regulation; Prohibition Against Powerheads, Bangsticks, and Rebreathers; Repeal of Certain Special Acts.
(1) Spearing is lawful in all salt waters and salt tributaries located in the State of Florida except:
(a) As provided in Section 379.2425, F.S. Notwithstanding the prohibition contained in that section, spearfishing is allowed in state waters off Collier County except as prohibited in this chapter and elsewhere in Division 68B, Florida Administrative Code; and
(b) As prohibited in this chapter, and elsewhere in Division 68B, Florida Administrative Code.
(2) Spearfishing is hereby prohibited:
(a) Within 100 yards of all public bathing beaches.
(b) Within 100 yards of all commercial or public fishing piers.
(c) Within 100 yards of that portion of any bridge where public fishing is legally permitted.
(d) Within 100 feet of the unsubmerged portion of any jetty, except that spearfishing shall be allowed along the last 500 yards of any jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
(e) In or on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection. Possession of spearing equipment in or on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Division of Recreation and Parks is prohibited except when such equipment is not loaded and is properly stored upon watercraft passing nonstop through such marine waters.
(3) The taking of fish by spearing shall be subject to and consistent with present and future bag limits, size limits, and seasons applicable to other fishermen of this state.
(4) The sale of fish lawfully taken by spearing shall be subject to the same regulations and limitations applicable to other fishermen in this state.
(5) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as allowing the taking, harvesting, molesting or killing of any fish by spearing when taking, harvesting, molesting or killing such fish is otherwise prohibited by law.
(6) It is unlawful to buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, exchange, transport or possess any fish, or part thereof, taken or harvested in violation of this chapter.
(7) The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers is prohibited as specified in Rule 68B-4.012, Florida Administrative Code.

The changes that you mentioned are definitely possible. Until such changes are made, lionfish can be harvested in these areas with dip nets, slurp guns, and by hook and line

Thanks for your comments and question, Alan Peirce (850-617-9647)

Does anyone have an update on the conditions at St. Andrews? It hasn't been as rainy the past few weeks, just wondering if the water has cleared up any.

Last Sunday morning the kiddie pool looked like chocolate milk. 2 guys told me they had a decent dive on the beach side of the jetty. Just stay out of the pass - none to little viz.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

The channel/kiddiepool was rootbeer Yesterday the beach side was pee yellow color with about 18-20 ft visibility saw a couple big rays. Nice dive all in all could be better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom