Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Livn2dive and I worked in Deep Hole and Arch site. Aaron and the guys had worked earlier that day to clear silt off Deep Hole, so it looked pretty good.

I could tell where the path to Arch site had been cleared, but once you come over the hump and approach Arch site, there is still a lot of vegetation. Maybe we are coming in too close to the right?

Arch site has a lot of algae in and around it, and even a little coontail. Spring flow is relatively low right now.

Air temps were in the high 40s when we entered the water. When we came up a light rain was falling and steam was rising off the surface of the lake. Fabulous! Down below it was much warmer, and once out of the water we got pretty cold. I'm grateful for the hot showers in the training area!

Want to see Kettleman spring next time.

Mansfield Park Cove, far point
Gorgeous day.
Max Depth: 104 BT: 40 minutes
Water temp: 56 degrees
Visibility: 3-6 feet depending on where we were
Cavemn and I were diving off of Giant Stride looking for the jungle gym or the orange line that leads to the jungle gym, so we could send the line up to Robert to attach a new jug to mark the site. Didn't help that my canister light refused to work on the dive so I was using my little backup. :no: We didn't find the line, but still had a fun dive. Saw some catfish on the dive, a few barrels and we visited the grottos off the far point.
Lunch at Rudy's BBQ followed.

Last edited:
Possum Kingdom Lake
1/15/11
water temp = 45 F
vis = poor, 5 ft.
Dove on the north end, so the vis and temp are worse case for the lake.

Spring Lake San Marcos, Jan 20

Vis: 50' and cloudy
Temp: same
Spring Flow:162cfs

The staff had us clean Cream of Wheat. We also cleaned the hump between Cream of Wheat and Ossified Forrest. Go to the bottom of Little River Bed and look toward your left for the area cleared of Coontail.

1/22/2011
Clear Springs Scuba Park
The pond just had myself and Robert there....then as I walked up the stairs from my dive, a nice fellow was just getting in to try out his drysuit.

Water temp. was 45F from surface to 60ft.
Vis was 20-30FFW.
65 minute dive-nice!

January 27, Spring Lake, San Marcos

Vis, difficult to judge since the Cutter Boat was working in the head waters, call it 50' and "cloudy"
Temp, same
Spring Flow, 160 cfs

John, Rene and me did the run from Cream of Wheat to Catfish Hotel. COW and Little Riverbed were in good shape, the humps into/out of Ossified Forrest where very clear (enter left and exit right). Cleaned the big cypress log at the head of Riverbed (the landmark where you start looking to make your transition from Riverbed into Ossified Forrest).

The algae was thick in Riverbed, 6-8" in most places. We had a 3' high "log" of algae rolling down Riverbed by the time we hit Catfish Hotel. Riverbed is now clear enough to do some real cleaning.

Catfish Hotel is a mess. There is a lot of silt around the springs and I am sure that some of the algae we were moving will end up there.

If you are certified to dive Spring Lake, we dive every Thursday at 9am. More than welcome to join us.

Clear Springs Scuba Park
Sunday January 30 2011
Temp = 50ish
Vis = 15 to 20ft (might have been better but Tammie Faye was taking a dip and she was doing a good job of mucking things up LOL!!!)

Mon Jan 31
Lake Travis- Mansfield Dam
Temperature: invigorating (54F) but pleasant in a 5 mil-- at least for 35 minutes.
Visibility: cloudy. 1-4 feet
-Vis was especially bad down in the channel (60-80').
-Cleared up a little at 20-40' depth.

Some interesting green algae on the rocks at 10-20 feet. Lots of big fish, moving kinda slow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom