Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windy Point, Lake Travis

A middle aged man is camping right on the shore line, and will be there at least through the weekend. He had a fight with his old lady and is desperate for human interaction, he's been there a while already. Although friendly, he will talk your ear off. Do not leave large lights on after dark or he will approach, like a lonely moth in the night.

This counts as "Dive conditions", right? The lake was nice, garbage is above 80, usual nice vis below.

CSSP - Saturday, October 23, 2010

Water Temp: 74 degrees at the surface, 71 degrees and dark at 35ft

Visibility:

10 @ 20 feet
6 @ 25 feet
3 @ 35 feet

No sun to aid visibility

Brown out seems to have disappeared

on a side note, an ill fitting drysuit is still better than diving wet. New suit arrives next week :D

Didn't see the strange man camping by the shore, but thanks for the warning

Vis 0-80fsw 3-5ft with strange blue smoke around P1 just underneath the junk
Vis 80-116fsw 15-20ft 64F

Walter was hanging out in the big Sailboat below P1. Pink Pelicans(both ~94fsw) had a fine layer of silt. Really big sailboat seemed N of P4 ~90fsw

Windy Point- Lake Travis
October 25-26

Viz 8' to 77', then opened up to about 15'
Temp: 73 down to about 80', drop to 65 at depth

This was my first trip to Windy Point and I loved it. My buddy and I made six dives over two days. Deepest depths of each dive were 126, 100, 100, 100, 70, 70. Temp was comfortable in my 7/5 jumpsuit with hood.

I'm used to diving Canyon so the viz was great for me. Viz was about 5-8' down to about 77' where it opened up to 15' or more. Began to notice a loss of sunlight around 45' and significant loss of sunlight after dropping off the wall at about 67'.

Lake is about 10' low now. Upper level platforms are sitting at about 20-21'. When going out Stair #3, the first platform is at 20', next at 50', then 90'. Dropped off 90' platform and hit 100' at bottom of leg. Followed rope to a boat which is at 125-133'. Large sail boat off Stair #1 is at 70', Walter is still there.

Topside weather was a little Windy on Monday, but absolutely perfect on Tuesday. Man, you just couldn't ask for a better day.

Stay safe, stay wet!

Last edited:
Air temp 41, sucked getting out

Water temp 70 down to 40ft

Vis improving below 20ft, 15ft to 20ft in areas

58 minutes, avg 35ft, nice day for diving

CSSP
Surface Temp: 70
Visibility: 15-20 feet away from training areas

2 dives, 1:30 minutes each
7 mm wetsuit, 7mm hood, gloves
Sunny all day -- was able to warm up between dives

As Aquatrax mentioned on 10/23, brownout is gone. Water is pitch black below 40 feet. In the blackout, there were white suspended blobs that looked like whale snot. At first I thought they were freshwater jellies but they weren't.

Couldn't find silos by groping. Instead, went to reference point and swam mid-water following the compass until I ran into the silo buoy line. Descended onto the south platform. Bottom of silo registered 53 feet and there was a lot of silt. Didn't put my computer down in it, just rested it on top.

Good day for blowing bubbles :)

CSSP, November 7

Water temp 64 on surface. Don't know temps in the silos--didn't stay long enough to register on my computer.

Visibility at 30 foot depth was 15-20 feet, less in training areas. LOTS of ambient light at this depth. Black out at 48 feet and below

Bottom of south silo registered 58 feet deep.

Haven't found my lost ScubaPro mask, but my new Tusa mask is nice.

Sunny day for diving :)

I haven't been to Lake Travis in several weeks, so was looking forward to the dive.
Mix: EAN 30
Max Depth: 117 Total Bottom time: 51 minutes Total Deco time: 17 minutes
Visability: 3-5 feet down to 90 feet. From 90 feet to 97 feet, vis is zero. Opens to about 10 feet from 98-105 feet. Starts clouding up again, but had 3-4 feet at 117 depth.
Temperature: 69 degrees. Felt a thermocline about 95 feet, and was colder below that, around 60 degrees.
Dove to the 50 feet deep sailboat, then down to the Danny Faas memorial. Cleaned it off and paid my respects. Continued toward the dam to the 85 foot deep sailboat, then dropped down to max depth and spent most of the dive there. Had deco stops at 50, 40, 30,20, and 10 foot depths.

Mansfield Dam Nov 11th 2010

62deg F above thermo cline
and
6 to 8 ft vis

Moving clouds of increased sediment roll by you around 40ft, bottom rising? dropped vis to 1ft.

Thunder clouds were flowing by above, this darkens the water (decreasing vis) at times, then they pass and the water column lightens, and you are at peace.

November 9, 2010
Winy Point Park
Austin, TX
No real thermocline. 70 F at the surface, 71 F at 92 FT
Visibility 5-10 FT.
Spent some time mapping current depths of various landmarks at the park, in preparation for the big utexas OW checkout classes scheduled Nov 13 & 14, Nov 20 & 21, and Dec 4 & 5th. Visibility opens up around 40 - 45 feet. Grottos were at 65, vis improving all the way down to the deep platform. Lots of fish fry and juveniles (some catfish). There's a fin attached to the chain at platform #8. anyone know why?

Back
Top Bottom