Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring Lake, San Marcos, October 3

Vis: 70'+
Temp: Same
Spring Flow: 110cfs

Cleaned up the platforms in the Training Area this morning. The Wounded Warriors are going to do their certification dives over the next two weeks.

Anyone know of anyone who dove for the clean up at Possum Kingdom recently, that would be able to advise what the conditions were like. Apparently there 38 divers there for the event. Thanks.

Saturday 10-12-13

Lake Travis - Mansfield Dam

Divers – paulw - bogrady

Water Temp - 80 at surface, 65 at 88'

Max Depth - 88'

Vis - 6' to 8' above 60' and 15' at 88

Dive Time - 59 min

We had two really nice dives and the vis is very nice in deeper water, its cold and dark but REALLY clear. There was this really funky redish brown layer between say 40 and 50' where the vis was maybe 3' but other than that layer the vis was pretty nice on top as well.

Sunday 10/13/2013 - Gulf of Mexico

Platform GA-424-C
Surface temp 84F, temp at depth 82F @ 101'.
Viz was ~ 60 ft @ 30' - 60' and dropped to around 20 ft below 60'.
Seas were around 2 ft most of the time on the rig with light current.

Platform GA-355-A
Surface temp 84F and temp at depth 81F @ 76'.
Viz was ~ 40-50 ft @ 60' and dropped into murky haze below 70'.
Seas picked up to around 3 ft and current increased moderately at depth but little to none at surface.

Despite some rain on the way back in to Surfside/Freeport area, a nice day out in the GOM.

Blue Lagoon - 19 Oct. Temp - 73 degrees, viz - 10 ft +

A beautiful fall day at BL.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Lake Murray (Marietta Landing Campground)

School starting and cooler temps drove away non-divers (who stir up silt like crazy) and made Marietta Landing Campground a good place at Lake Murray to dive again. Vis was good. Water temps were 60sF. Sunny and nice on the surface. I joined DFW Scuba folks to hang out for a day and observe an underwater pumpkin carving contest. I did one 60 minute dive in my 5mm and didn't get that cold at the end. I took some video of the contest and the Honda motorcycle wreck while I was there. There's still lots of fish in shallow areas to play with.

[video=youtube_share;BGXtIrALAxE]http://youtu.be/BGXtIrALAxE[/video]

Last edited:
The Blue Lagoon. October 26, 2013.

I came to camp out and do the underwater pumpkin carving contest with the Diving Rebels. Vis was excellent. I don't know how many feet but buddy contact was very easy to maintain. Water temp was 68F. I did one 48 minute dive at lagoon 2 and explored a memorial, two wrecks, two platforms, and a bird bath.

[video=youtube_share;PCm97ZhUsVY]http://youtu.be/PCm97ZhUsVY[/video]

Blue Lagoon, Nov 3rd. Water temp - 70 degrees, viz - 10 footish.

Spring Lake,

Temp, varied between 72 and 66 degrees.
Vis, varied from 2' to 60'
Spring Flow, 169cfs

Interesting dive this morning.

For those who don't keep up with the weather in San Marcos, there was a heavy rain last Thursday in excess of 8" over a broad area. Spring Lake had about a 3' rise and was closed till today. Pete, Gary and I were the first divers allowed in the lake after the flood.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 08170500 San Marcos Rv at San Marcos, TX

The three of us were assigned to survey the lake from Cream of Wheat down to Cypress Point and back to Deep Hole. The short version is that a lot of shallow springs (very cold) were activated by the rainfall. The runoff from the hill above the west bank seems to have cleared it of most of the plants/algae. Lots of coontail got moved around and in some areas present significant problems for divers.

First, the Training Area looked pretty good and the platforms were clear. There is a literal wall of coontail between Diversion and Cream of Wheat. You have to get too shallow to go over it safely.

Cream of Wheat has a lot of coontail hung up on the tree branches. The springs are flowing very nicely.

The hump into Ossified Forrest from COW is open but very narrow. The top of OF is very narrow (less than 6'). You can touch both sides as you go past. Lot of dead algae on the bottom and the west bank is fairly clear.

The hump into Riverbed from OF is completely clear and wide. I have never seen it look better. There is a lot of dead algae all along Riverbed. My guess is that it was washed down from the west bank. The entire length of the west bank is in incredible shape. Very little plant/algae on the bank. For example, at the cypress log (top of RB, west bank) it is clear of all vegetation. You can see the shoreline at the surface from the log.

Catfish Hotel has all the big boulders clear of any plants/algae. Most of it seems to have washed out but there is still a dive's worth of work to clean it up.

The shallow run from Catfish Hotel to the dock is fairly congested. Kettleman's was clear. The run from Kettleman's to Cypress Point is congested. Cypress Point is extremely cloudy (2-3' vis) and very cold (the entire hole is cold, not just the bottom). The flow right now must be incredible for that spring.

Arch Site is so fowled up that it wouldn't pay to go into all the details. Large heads of coontail are hung up on the t-posts. The hump between Arch Site and Deep Hole is a bit shallow but passable. One interesting thing is that there were large schools of juvenile fish at Arch Site. I have never seen them there (or in such large numbers) swimming in fairly open water.

Deep Hole was unexpectedly cloudy. First, at Fault Line, you can watch the spring flow slowly roll back the black decayed matter on the bottom. Very cool to see. Second, to the north of the Deep Hole spring, you get hit with a wall of very cold water. There must be some additional shallow low pressure springs that were activated by the rainfall. This is the only time I have felt that type of cold water in Deep Hole. There is a lot more coontail between Deep Hole and the boat ramp than usual. Following the deepest path, I ended up north of the ramp by about 40'.

Saturday: 11-09-13

Blue Lagoon - Lagoon #2
Water Temp - 64.1 F under.. 64.4 on surface.. 57F air temp plus drizzle.. COLD!
Viz: Excellent.. 20+ At 22 feet I could easily see divers on surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom