Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really appreciate you and John letting tag along. It was a pretty cool assignment! John nearly wore me out swimming back against the current. Funny how it's much worse there than at other points in the lake. Aaron and Taylor were very gracious in letting not only tag along on their duties, but let me lend a helping hand under their watchful eyes. I definitely struck gold yesterday! :D

Weather: 63 f, windy, cloudy, and drizzling
Water: 57 f, 20' viz
Max Depth: 13'
Bottom Time: 212 minutes

Nice long dive to work on bouyancy control and search techniques. Recovered seven pair of sunglass (including one pair of Oakleys), swim goggles, and a Timex Iron Man watch (still working).

This trip helped me gain more experience and understanding in weight distribution to keep my trim slightly head down to aid in searching. I placed 7 lbs of weight in each pouch and 2 lbs in the trim pockets.

I did locate the marble floor that makes this a interesting dive location; however, the marble is covered with about 3" of silt right now. I've been told that on a night dive you can place your dive light on the marble and it will light it up. Once we get a good flood to clean up the river I'll have to try it.

I'll be diving during the week at least once per week from now on (as long as it isn't below freezing or lightning), so if your interested in checking out one of our local rivers drop me a PM. Next Monday I plan to dive Frio River at Camp River Bend / Happy Hollow and on Tuesday I'll be at Canyon Lake.

Stay safe, stay wet.

Phillip

It was cold outside in the morning but the water temperature was 72*. Scubashawn, Carrielsal, Peppermint Paddi, Cruiser, Jay and I joined forces to clean Arch Site and further downstream. Cruiser spotted a little turtle enjoying the show (gotta love the turtles) and many fish were watching from the protection of the dock. Attached are a few photos from the day.

Volunteers are needed to clean out the springs, take advantage of your Diving for Science certification to dive this Central Texas dive treasure.

The underwater web cam got a good cleaning, take a look at Life Aquatic Underwater Web Cam. Shawn worked hard to make sure you get a clear view of Deep Hole.

As a side note, Lake Travis is at 663' and rising. Full lake level is 681'. We are going to have a great dive season in 2010. Charter schedules are on the web site, along with a new dive site description page, at www.LakeTravisScuba.com.

Attachments

• DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00117.jpg
    DSC00117.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00104.jpg
    DSC00104.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 63
Magers' Campground
Weather: 53, cloudy
Water: 50-52 (f), 20' viz
Max Depth: 13'
BT: 63 minutes

I was originally planning on diving at Canyon Lake today, but my buddy was unable to make the dive so I went to my alternate dive site. Frio has good visibility and I decided to work on a new video. Got on site and it was a little chilly, but hey, I'm a diver so I suited up and jumped in.

Nice long dive in cool water. I think I've just about hit the bottom temperature limit on my 7/5mm, it sure was cool today. Now I know why people write love notes to their dry suits in the DUI advertisements. (They must have dived the Frio in winter :D)

Spent the dive taking video for fun and just hanging out with the fish and a turtle. See my edited version of the video here. Hope you enjoy it and feel free to leave a comment.

Next planned dive will be on 2/8/10. The location is yet to be determined, but I should have dive buddies lined up so it will most likely be Canyon Lake or Amistad.

Stay safe, stay wet.

Mansfield Park Dive Area:
Lake level 669.4 MSL
Water temp: 53 degrees on surface and depth
Max depth: 80 feet (using EAN36)
Visability: 3 feet, below 40 feet is pitch black, dive light needed.
Found the deep sailboat at 47 feet. The plane fuselage is at 57 feet.
On the sand flat up towards the dam were at least a dozen catfish that we saw. Lots of fingerling fish on the bottom.
Took some pics of Lake Travis yesterday. Will try to upload them later today.

All Dive Condition Reports should include the following information:

Date: 2-6-2010
Water Temp: 70 F
Visibility: depth 6-8 feet, vis about the same, but in inches 6-18"
Comments: Dove in fairly good current after heavy rains and vis was poor. The only time I saw "2 feet" is when my buddy's fins were in my face one time.
26 minutes was enough to log a dive. A lot of leaves along the banks, not much else to see, but if it was a foot away, you'd miss it anyway.

Weather--very overcast
Weather temp--around 47f
Number of brave soles out--18

I did just one dive that was 51 min. long.
Max. depth as this was in the shallower end of the 'pond' was 36ffw
Max low water temp recorded was 45f
Vis was ok

Last edited:
Windy Point Private Feb 7

Date: 2-7-2010
Water Temp: 52 F
Visibility: approximately 5'
Comments: Max depth 99'. Vis is definately better down deeper than it was last month. Vis was pretty constant from the surface all the way down with no thermoclines. Lake level is now at 670', so it's only a short walk down the stairs. The shallow platforms are now at 20'. [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• GEDC0648.jpg
    GEDC0648.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 60
  • GEDC0650.jpg
    GEDC0650.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 96
  • GEDC0649.jpg
    GEDC0649.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 84
  • GEDC0651.jpg
    GEDC0651.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 77
Date: 8 Feb 2010
Weather: 48 (f), sunny
Water: 20+ viz, temp 55-57 (f)
Max Depth: 8'
Bottom Time: 65 minutes
Equip: 7/5mm jumpsuit, hood, gloves, boots

Dive number 49 for me. My dive meet up with a buddy didn't work out on Monday, so I ventured to the local river Tuesday to see what the rains had brought us. I haven't dove at Riverbend since last summer so I decided to check it out.

I entered the water at the south end of the campground and waded over where vacationers have strategically placed rocks to create a current via channel. I inflated my bc and dropped into the current for a great 30 second roller-coaster ride to begin the dive. The viz was great and temps were normal. The rains didn't do much for bringing up water levels, but have created a better flow.

Shortly into the dive I realized what a terrible friend I have been to all of you. I knew it was Tuesday, and altough I have invited you to join me for diving during the week, I knew you'd be at work. It's then that I realized a true friend would have kidnapped you from work and shown you this wonderful world. I would have taken video to share what you missed out on, but I again fumbled and said to myself "No, I don't need my camera today, let's just see what it looks like." (When you dive solo you begin talking to yourself a lot.)

I enjoyed a nice 65 minute dive secluded in a world known only to the fish and turtles who were curiously watching me like I was straight out of an episode of X-Files. It was awesome to be drifting along and thinking "Wow, I don't hear any phones ringing." (Again, the interdialogue thing). At the end of the dive I couldn't help but claw my way back up current to my entry point to ride that roller-coaster one more time. It was an awesome dive and a great time was had by all (me, myself, and I).

Next week may be a dive on Monday with a new buddy at Amistad and/or Tuesday with a regular buddy at Canyon Lake, hopefully both!

Stay safe, stay wet.

Phillip

Back
Top Bottom