Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at Windy Point today securing a mooring line for Giant Stride on the north end of the park so the boat can tie off while staging before or between charters. While the boat is not tied up the line can be used as a descent line to the edge of the wall, currently around 45'

Temps:
Surface - 82*
Surface to 25' - High 70's
25' - 35' - Mid 70's
35' - 50' - Low 70's

Visibility - Standard 5' - 10', above 30' was on the lower end of vis, below 30' things were better.

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Oasis Wall - Lake Travis - 21 JUN 09

Went on a one-tank trip w/Lake Travis Scuba this AM. Vis poor to 30-35 feet then opens up pretty nicely. Around 55 feet it wasn't bad at all. 10+ in some places.

Temps:
Surface = 80
Depth 70' = 69

Lake Ouachita, June 20 and 21st

Overall the lake looked pretty bad from the surface (kind of tannish colored water). I have dove there many times and this was as bad as it had ever looked. At best you could barely see your fins while floating on the surface. Other areas near shore it was a worse than that. So we didn't have high hopes on our first dive, however, once you got past about 20-25 ft of depth it cleared up nicely.

0 to 10 ft of depth...vis was 0-5ft..temp was in the low 80's

10 to 30 ft of depth...vis was 5-10ft..temp was in the upper 70's

below about 35 ft deep vis opened up SIGNIFICANTLY...approximately 15-20ft

50ft to 100ft deep it was even better...vis was anywhere from 20-40ft although it was pretty dark since not much ambient light reached those depths...temp at bottom was 48 deg

We did some very cool dives at depth swimming through forests and big boulders with crystal veins running through the rocks.

Good Times!!

Just took some students for open water dives this afternoon. I have never been to Twin Lakes before and was pleasantly surprised. Vis was 8 - 10 feet water temp was 84 thermal cline was at 16' temp was 78. Lots of bluegill and bass. Water was down 10' from normal but the steps to the floating docks made it easy to get in and out. Compressor on site actually cost less to fill the tanks then at the dive shops. I think its much better than the other local dive site which I have used before. Granted ist not Belize or Honduras but nat bad for a local lake.

Friday Night three of my friends and I showed up at Windy Point Park for a night dive. We started by preparing and grilling steaks and brauts. All of us were there by 6:30 or 7pm I think. We talked for a while during dinner and then jumped in the water about 8:30pm.

We went down a line to the Northern Sailboat and picked up the chain. Followed the North Chain to the cliff and stretched out from the cliff in a 4 person pattern headed south at maybe 50-60 feet. Came across the Pinto and looked at it for a while. Then continued on. Headed up the shore before we reached the south chain and came north at a depth of around 35 feet. Came across a new platform whose base was around 35 but the flat part was at 25 (Perfect for skills). We tried to feed the fish some Brautworst but only the little ones showed up. We gave up and headed north to the north chain then up the shore again to about 15'. Then south to the south chain and exited on platform 3. Water is very low. Entry was a giant stride off platform 1. The platforms are at least 3 feet out of the water so it really was a Giant Stride.

After the dive we had hot chocolate and cheesecake and more fun conversation! Water at the surface is in the 80s now. At depth well maybe 78.

A couple of us camped out and taught an open water class in the morning.

Comal River Night Dive

Entered at the First public exit at 0015 hrs (12:15 AM) Sunday morning. Visibility was about 8-10 ft not sure about the water temp. I have never seen so many Crawdads in my life they were everywhere. Saw a few prawns also. Lots of sunglasses, and a baby diamond back water snake. Exited last public exit at about 0200 or (2:00 AM) Sunday morning.

Dove mammoth this week. Did 3 dives on Saturday (one was at night) and one on Sunday.

Water temp 90
vis 3 - 6 feet

Windy Point Private, Lake Travis
Saturday 6/27 and Sunday 6/28

Visibility report:
20': muck, 3'
30-40': 6'
40-60': 10' max
60-77': 6'

Visibility has worsened. Waves are washing off rocks, which is not helping.
Platforms are another two feet out, so giant strides off the platforms will likely be dangerous next week if the 2' drop continues. I hope for better visibility on the walls. I'd recommend boat diving if you can with someone like Lake Travis Scuba.

81º water temp.
Thermocline at 60'.

Hit the lake with Paul W. Got in free and had the park pretty much to ourselves. Maybe the thunder in the distance had something to do with that. Put in at PortaPotty Cove.

0-10' Swamper Dive, except that it was too warm at 81F
10-30 Gradually cleared up as we went deeper. Saw the edge of the drop off coming, so not bad.
Zinc's line is at 34', mostly
"Grottos" are at 54', mostly
Went on down to 64 feet and it continued to clear, but we wimped out for temperature reasons. Came back up and dove the sweet spot at 50ish feet and 70ish degrees. Had at least 10 feet of viz. Perfect!

Wednesday - June 1, 2009 ; 1:45 pm
Comal River, New Braunfels, TX

Worked the river bottom, mostly around Texas Tubes and upstream 50 yards or so.
Recruited to assist a tuber in a search for a $200 pair of sunglasses, however we were not able to find them... I looked for a good 45 min...

Not quite so many tubers, yet still almost as busy as a weekend. Vis better today and very clear - mostly 10-15' or so. Will be diving Inks Lake Friday the 3rd, and maybe LBJ and Marble Falls, if there's time - report to follow...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom