Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windy Point - Lake Travis 5/21 / 704pm

Visibility was a bit worse than last week! Pretty stirred up this evening. We followed the chain down to 111ft where the river channel starts to drop down, and visibility went from a couple feet to hardly any so we headed up a bit to get out of it. We found the microwave and engine then headed down the ledge for a while.

Visibility anywhere from 2-3 inches to 10' or so.
Temps - surface was about 73, dropped to 60-61 at 111ft.
Water was nice and calm at entry/exit

Calm water. Put in at the porta potties, found Zinc's line and took off to the south. Found the restriction marker and kept going until we turned the dive. Visibility at 42-44 feet was just about zero the whole way and we were bumping the thermocline. Although it sounds like it's swamper diving at all depths. :) 75F on the surface and 70F at 40 feet.

Clear Springs Scuba Park

Just the facts:
Played hookie, arrived at 11amish. Overcast. Set up at the air fill pavilion. Dove to the SS Minnow then across to the wall and back around the south end to POB. Dive time 77 minutes. Max depth 45'. 3mm neoprene w/ merino lining. Chilly at depth. Otherwise fine. Burned 1 tank.

288 lake Houston 5/23/09

pros: $15 entry; well manicured, good value and friendly staff, vis
cons: NO AIR ON SITE
water temp 69 @ 35'
warm @surface
thermocline around 17'
vis from 2' to 20' (I was impressed by the vis in places)
best vis at far end, over hydrilla and AWAY from platforms
2 tanks after 3PM (and rain)

Good enough to go back Monday!!

Oasis Wall, Lake Travis - 05/23/09

75 degrees at surface
60 degrees at 109 ft.
Best visability was 6-8 ft between 60 to 80 ft depth.
Above and below these depths, visability was 3 ft or less.

Open Water certification dives at Wreck Alley using the Boatel as the training platform during the afternoon charter.

Temps are coming up nicely:
Surface temp - 79*
Surface to 15' - 77*
15' - 30' - 75*
30' - 35' - 73*

Visibility - average 8' (rain and chop from wind must be mucking things up based on other posts about Lake Travis diving). Tech divers conducting deep training drills to 145' during morning charter reported low visibility on Oasis Bluff wall.

A large bass was hanging out on top of the Boatel observing skills with the group. No chance to see if Brody (large catfish named in memory of Don Brod, creator of Scuba Park aka Wreck Alley, who recently passed away) was hanging out at the deep houseboat.

Last edited:
Windy Point 25 May 09

Visibility was 0-8 or so, lots of boats making wake and a couple OW classes as well. Temps varied, but seem to be getting warmer. I dove in a full 3mm Pinnacle, no hood, and was fine. My gf was in a 5mm and was cold (like usual) below 70 degrees.

Finally got around to importing all my dives from my computer...the attached should show you the thermals at given depths to 61' max depth for the day.

Attachments

• 090525-WindyPoint.Png
    090525-WindyPoint.Png
    34.2 KB · Views: 99
Oasis Wall Lake TRAVIS Texas

74feet 68 degrees

Surface water temperature 73 degrees

POOR visibility surface to 50 feet

50 feet plus 6 foot visibility

5/25/09

Lake Travis-Mansfield Dam

Drove down, swam out to the grates, dropped down, hit a depth, came back.

Temp-76 on the surface, 67 at 70 feet, 60 at 100+

Vis- 4 feet at the surface to around 75 feet, then opened up to around 7-8 feet. Got dark after 60 feet, just got more and more dark the deeper we went.

Max depth "132"

Went down fast, came up sloooow, left a little something on the grates at 30 feet, hopefully nobody disturbs him too much! Awesome dive!

Comal Rive, Hinman Island -New Braunfelds

Temp-a balmy 82 degrees

Vis-went from 3 feet to 1 foot depending on the area.

Max depth-8 feet, suprised i got that deep!

Me and my buddy went treasure hunting and just for a nice drift dive, Although it was absolutely flooded with tubers, since it was Memorial Day. I don't think I've ever heard more drunken idiots yelling "SCUBA STEVE" every time i popped up. But I found a new pair of swim goggles, a new mask, a dollar, an unopened Pepsi, and several broken sunglasses. My buddy was more successful and pulled 6 pairs of shades out of the hydrilla, although he got pinched more by the crawdads.

Lake Travis - West Point 5/27/09

Dive with Lake Travis Scuba (what a great dive boat and it's a pleasure to dive with them)

1st time at this site, which was cool. We went down a mooring line to a pretty big platform with some red strings connecting a couple different boats that were sunk there.

Vis - typical of lake travis, 0 to 6-8 feet.
Temps - 74 surface, 66 @ 57'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom