Dive Computers & O/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remora brings up an extremely important point - the blind acceptance of whatever the computer says because the "button pusher" mentality is willing to use a tool without understanding the underlying theory. This is dangerous, and it's a valid detractor to "computer only" diving. BUT - the people who will follow a computer blindly down an unreasonable alley are the very same people who will misread the table and follow *that* blindly when the result is unreasonable. And my experience tells me that the misread table is far, far more commonplace than the malfunctioning computer.
There is one advantage of sticking to the table, though... it's harder for the "button pusher" who misreads the table to sue himself than for the computer user to sue the computer manufacturer.
Rick

I would have to agree that a DC isn't the sole source of information but it is convient, I own and use a GPS but know how to use a compass and read a map. Why should diving be any different? faith that the machine is correct should not be more than the trust you have in your own abilty to stay out of danger.

Well as a new diver, I bought my equipment in the following order

1. mask, fins, snorkel
2. bc, regs, wetsuit, divebag, weightbelt & weights

When I did my PADI O/W, my instructor taught us that the tables are to be learned so we could do them in our sleep. As he stated, he's never had a computer that hasnt failed him at one time or another and for this reason, planning the dive on the tables and using a computer to keep to that plan was the way to go. I have a lot of respect for this guy and plan to make sure that I follow his advice. So before I get a computer, I will get compass, torch, and gloves. Only then will i even consider splashing out for a computer which at this stage of my diving career is a luxury.

Its like having a computer in your car to monitor fuel consumption, make sure the engine is managed etc. its a nice to have but not essential.

Just my newbie point of view

Ok, am ow qualified and seven dives past it. Not much and i agree it isn't. But i went to do this and learn it and would not have felt comfortable without being able to use tables. Plus questions in the test require it. Using tables brings to life how serious this game can get as far as i am concerned. Am hoping to buy my first computer in thenext couple of months but am making sure i stay up to speed on tables for all of the reasons mentioned in previous posts.

Back
Top Bottom