Dive computers - buckle or bungee strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use my computer often (on wrist with the wrist watch type strap that came with it). I use a bit of fishing line to attach a thick rubber band to the strap, which also fits around my wrist should the strap break or some how come loose.
I do the same thing with my dive watch (as I recently lost one when I turned turtle in surge/rocks--a freak mishap). For the watch I attach a coated wire to go around my wrist in case the watch strap comes off again. This is not normal stuff, I know.
I also use fishing line to attach my leg mounted knife to it's holster, having somehow lost one of them years ago.

1- They slip on and off much easier and faster without the hassle of trying to thread a strap through a buckle with 1 hand- made even easier if you thread the bungee in such a way that you have an extra loop to pull over the face of the computer to make it snug after you slip it over your wrist
have a picture of this?

I've tried bungees and while I really like the idea in theory, I prefer buckle straps. I only wear stuff like Lycra, Lavacore, or 1mm neoprene at most, so I don't need depth compensation. And I find the regular strap more comfortable to put on and wear. As was said someplace earlier, bungee doesn't have as much stretch as you might expect. For me, bungie that is short enough to feel secure once it's on, is too short to _get_ on easily. (I had the same experience with some spring straps - if they're short because your foot is mostly in the fin pocket, the overall amount of stretch you will get may not be enough to get the darn things on or off easily, which is half the point.)

I use the wide, stretchy, bungee-ish straps that came on my Shearwaters. I find they work well for mounting my knife and cutter (one on each side). I used the same type of strap on my VR3, but with a backup bungee (which was good the time the strap came off the buckle underwater!). Before that, always 1/8" bungee on my recreational computers once I ditched the console.

With bungee (and a small bolt snap), you can easily clip your hand-held light to the bottom of your wrist so you don't drop it when you switch to backup regulator for real.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just for more reference, this is going to be primarily in warm water diving with a 3mm suit on most of the time. I may use it when snorkeling too but I don't really know if there is much point to that.

With the bungee I had it so that when on my wrist, I could wiggle my wrist and it would "roll" a little bit so it wasn't so tight on my wrist that it wouldn't roll at all from side to side. If I pulled it up slightly more on my forearm it was tight where it wouldn't roll, but it felt like it was a little bit higher up than I prefer.

Should I make it tighter than that because when I'm down in the water it will compress the suit and will be a little looser?

I guess what I'm asking is how tight do I want it to be at the surface, if using a bungee cord? Snug enough that there is no roll/wiggle? Or should there be a little bit of that? And if it's pretty tight, after a while do you ever feel it a bit in your arm like it's too tight?

With the bungee I had it so that when on my wrist, I could wiggle my wrist and it would "roll" a little bit so it wasn't so tight on my wrist that it wouldn't roll at all from side to side.
Should I make it tighter than that because when I'm down in the water it will compress the suit and will be a little looser?

I wear it a tighter than that. You should be able to play with it over the course of a few dives and get it so that it's snug on the surface and not so loose that it moves around when you get to depth. With it that loose on the surface there is a real risk that you could lose it and at depth it will be annoying to have it sliding around.

I wear it a tighter than that. You should be able to play with it over the course of a few dives and get it so that it's snug on the surface and not so loose that it moves around when you get to depth. With it that loose on the surface there is a real risk that you could lose it and at depth it will be annoying to have it sliding around.
Well it's not so loose without a wetsuit on that it can slide over my hand so I'd be shocked if it fell off somehow, but I will make it a bit tighter so that it doesn't roll at all while on my wrist.

I use a Pro Plus air integrated. I have it on a retractor clip on one of my D-rings. The clip stays on my BCD and I can remove the computer with a quick disconnect at the end of the retractable wire.

I had having things hanging off of me. The retractor ensures that it stays close to my body when I'm not looking at.

When I using rental BC's I tucked it into my cumber-bun. I bought a Zeagle Zena which is a zip front. No place to tuck the computer :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom