Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it worth saving up for a dive computer?

As has been implied in the various other responses, having a dive computer won't necessarily make you a better diver, but it will make you a more informed diver. A lot of us "more seasoned" (older) divers learned and initially dove without computers, and probably still could/would dive without them, but they have become almost standard equipment these days, to the point that some dive ops I have used will issue a computer to those divers who don't have one.

I dive a Suunto Cobra, which, arguably, is one of the more conservative dive computers in market, but I like it (but others don't). I'd suggest you do some research (even look for similar threads on this message Board) into the various types of computers (do you want a console or a wrist-mount, for example?) available, and their respective reputations and capabilities, and then purchase once you are satisfied that the one you have your eye on is most appropriate for the type of diving you are going to be doing.

This will be a major investment, and if you are into diving for the long haul, you need to choose wisely.

Good Luck, and many here are always ready to help with their opinions.

Normally I agree with Alberto but here I have to deviate. Knowing where you are from and that you just did your drysuit specialty, I'd say not. Save up and get the drysuit first. Having a computer will not keep you warm in the water in the UK. That is what you need more than a computer. BTW good to see you back. Missed you. Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom