Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a novice diver. Dove 1 time a yr each of the last 2 yrs - before that not much diving - certified in 1978 PADI. Going on a diving vacation to Cozumel in Apr - plan on at least 11 dives in 5 days. Have about 21 dives under my belt with the last 16 being open water dives the last 2 yrs in the Caribbean using dive charts. Do I need a diving computer or can I rely on the diving charts for botton time and the DM's reccomendations and be safe? Money is tight but safety is more important. Dive computer will cut down on the number of dives I can afford. New to this board so appreciate imput. Thanks.

A lot of the charters will insist on you using a computer as a way of them playing CYA.

The good news is that you can rent one for a pretty modest fee or, if you're diving air only, or you can buy your own for under $200 (Aeris XR-1, Oceanic Veo).

In terms of safety you're probably safe with a dive watch & tables as you're basing everything on a square profile which is very conservative.

Have you thought of renting a computer? Can you rent a computer at a local dive shop and get them to show you how to use that specific model?

I agree with the folks who suggest renting a computer. There's no sense having an expensive piece of gear sitting in your dive bag if you're not using it. I also agree most that ops want you to have one. One year in Cozumel it finally caught up to me that I didn't have one. When the dive master asked me for my computer, I said I didn't have one, but I would just dive off his.

He didn't think that was funny.

All dives in Cozumel are DM-led and pretty much all are multi-level. (No square profiles.) If you are thinking of using tables, forget it. You will be off the tables from your first dive on.

I know Aldora requires computers, but they will provide a rental for you. I don't know where the other operators stand on this right now.

I join the vote for renting one.

I'm a novice diver. Dove 1 time a yr each of the last 2 yrs - before that not much diving - certified in 1978 PADI. Going on a diving vacation to Cozumel in Apr - plan on at least 11 dives in 5 days. Have about 21 dives under my belt with the last 16 being open water dives the last 2 yrs in the Caribbean using dive charts. Do I need a diving computer or can I rely on the diving charts for botton time and the DM's reccomendations and be safe? Money is tight but safety is more important. Dive computer will cut down on the number of dives I can afford. New to this board so appreciate imput. Thanks.

Some operators now require you have a computer. If you don't have one, they'll rent you one for about the same price you could have bought one for... so I suggest picking one up. A good brand new wrist model can be had for around $250... so it doesn't really break the bank...

Oh.. and you can kill two birds with one stone by picking up one you can wear 24/7 as a watch.. something like the Cressi Edy.

Have a great trip!

I say buy one. You've recently been diving more, vacation you will be and appears you want/will be diving more in the future.
Renting for a week vs buying might be close. better double check all you dive numbers Don't bend yourself! 11 dives in 5 days is a lot of dives for someone who dosen't dive too much. Thats like someone who dosent hike a lot going into the woods for a week with only a compass no GPS :idk:. Knuckle up and get a computer, it's safety equipment; you can't put a price on it or your life. For the price you may miss a dive or 2 but I think it's worth it. Better to have less dives but quality ones than more dives but riskier ones. Let us know what you decided and why.
Good luck.

What's wrong with going into the woods without a gizmo that won't work anyway because it can't see the satilites? And better yet, your taking a compass!

What ever happened to dead recokoning and terrain feature navigation?

Thats like someone who dosent hike a lot going into the woods for a week with only a compass no GPS :idk:.

Actually when GPS first became available to civilian users, the Park Services reported an increase in the amount of rescues of lost hikers.

The batteries died in the GPS's and a)did not have a compass or b)did not know how to use a compass.

As muddiver said, they are line of site. Heavy canopies and mountains tend to negatively impact their performance.

Last edited:
I agree with the 'rent one' sentiment, but if you do want to buy one, the Mares Nemo Sport is now being sold on clearance; Leisure Pro has it for $199. It's nitrox-compatible, and you can wear it as a wrist watch. I got one from Scuba Toys (it appears they're sold out now), and am real happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom