Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Anybody willing to give me advise on dive computers?! I'll be going to coz for a week Aug 19 and may still have time to buy one. I always went diving privately (i.e. no need for operators etc.) in the red-sea and never used them. Are they really good to extend dive-time and provide safety? which type / brand would you recommend that is sort of cost efficient?!
EW.

Hi,
I can not recommend you a computer, since I think it depends on your diving preferences. You should look for a computer that supports nitrox.
Then, you should ask yourself, if you want to upload the dives into PC or not. This extra might cost even $100 for the interface/software alone.
Do you intend to pursue technical diving? Then you should look for one that supports free dive mode and/or gas switching.
Do you want one that will tell you your gas consumption (aka gas integrated)?
Is the budget tight?
IMHO, look for wrist mount (ease to ready), large and easy readable screen, backlight.
I use Aladin Pro Nitrox. I miss on my model the backlight. Besides that, it is an excellent computer.
Check out the reviews on divernet.com and scubadiving.com

dive safe,
sasha

What are you looking for? Air-integrated? Nitrox (almost must have)? Technical (some day maybe)?

I had a Suunto Cobra and luved it. Also own a Suunto Mosquito as a backup and just recently bought a Suunto Vytec. See a trend here..... :wink:

My suggestion for a good started computer that is small, CHEAP, CONSERVATIVE, full featured, not air-integrated and supports Nitrox, go with the Suunto Mosquito. It is more watch-like and less bulky than some of the Uwatec Aladin models that I have tried.

My two coppers..... :)

--Dawg

my self i cant recommend one other than to tell you i really like my cobra computer its sems tobe accurate , got great features and well designed

My Viper is easy to use and easy to read. The menus are intuitive enough to allow you to figure out how to use the computer without reading the manual.

You have to read a computer's manual before using it for the first time for safety's sake. But after leaving the Vyper sitting around for a few weeks I can pick right up where I left off without any confusion about what buttons to press to change the oxygen percentage of my gas. I CAN'T say that about my Suunto Mosquito. I can't to a ^#%$ thing with the Mosquito without looking up the instructions in the manual.

I really like my COBRA, and it has worked like a charm. Very well laid out display, and great built in safety features like the simulator. I log all dives into my computer, and then study my dive graphs. I also find it very helpful the night before diving to run through simulations on the PC (dive manager).

The one thing about the COBRA is if it did go down, you'd lose a lot of data at once. I solved that problem yesterday by ordering a Suunto Vyper to wear on my wrist. No, I won't have an air display, buy I will have what I need to get safely to the surface (mainly the depth). Plus, by putting an analog SPG in my bag, I can save a trip with the Vyper if I had to.

My vote goes to the Mosquito. Very good computer for the price and it's Nitrox compatible.

This is the one I would get, it will also be the next one I buy. I have a Uwatec Pro Nitrox now.

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
If you want to have a look at the best diving computers on the market
check out the Uwatec AirZ Nitrox

www.uwatec.com

Cheers
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom