Dive computer - wrist model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might be lynched for suggesting this here but here it goes. Have you considered the Uwatec SmartTEC product. It can be set (through adjustement of the microbubble suppression levels) to be as conservative as a SUUNTO (even more so).

have a read of this My SmartTEC vs Vytec review

I used to be a SUUNTO man through and through but found (through 2 months worth of review and analysis) that the SmartTEC offered as good if not better levels of conservatism if you want it, while being able to grow with you later.

cheers
Mike

For recreational diving..you can choose to use a Stinger Titanium Grey. I have one and been very happy with it. Its conservative, light and you can also use it when you're not diving. :)

BubbleTrouble:
I might be lynched for suggesting this here but here it goes. Have you considered the Uwatec SmartTEC product. It can be set (through adjustement of the microbubble suppression levels) to be as conservative as a SUUNTO (even more so).

I really like my Uwatec SmartTEC as well. I used to dive a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and found that downloading the dive log onto a computer was a real drag. The SmartTEC has a great log program giving you the ability to add a lot of information and keep statistics on each dive. My only beef it that the basic info cannot be read from the SmartTEC screen - dive time start and stop and either air used or beginning and ending air pressure. If you don't have a computer to download your logs to it might not be as interesting a computer to use.

Only 50 more days till I'm diving on Tabutaha Reef - Philippines :)

Jason

I happen to have a PocketPC integrated with a mobile phone, and can download dive details into it at the dive site. So no problem there.

As for the info, well:
- You know the start time and end time of the dive, generally I am aware of when I'm diving
- You know of your starting gas pressure and ending pressure - well you'd better be otherwise you shouldn't be diving
- As for air consumption rate - it's only useful during post dive analysis. While you're diving it's all about fun and being safe rather than worrying about your SAC.

Unless of course I'm missing something here...

cheers
Mike

after lots and lots of research I have just ordered my Suunto Vyper, seems to do everything I will ever need it to.

I can get a Suunto Mosquito for $250 usd. I am headed back to Thailand to do my DM and wonder if it's the right model to have while I do that...?

I have a mosquito that I have used for a couple of years as a "back up" to my (also) Suunto Cobra. Inexpensive with good data, however the alarms and warning beeps from the Suunto mosquito is not very loud. Great to have a conservative computer if you can hear it warn you of ascent violations, etc.

Diving with people with uwatec is deafening, should be something in between.

BubbleTrouble:
I happen to have a PocketPC integrated with a mobile phone, and can download dive details into it at the dive site. So no problem there.

As for the info, well:
- You know the start time and end time of the dive, generally I am aware of when I'm diving
- You know of your starting gas pressure and ending pressure - well you'd better be otherwise you shouldn't be diving
- As for air consumption rate - it's only useful during post dive analysis. While you're diving it's all about fun and being safe rather than worrying about your SAC.

Unless of course I'm missing something here...

cheers
Mike

I love my SmarTEC as well, and download it to the IR port on my Treo (Palm OS) between dives. I input some basic info on the boat, and when I get home and sync my phone to the computer, it also transfers the info the software on the computer for more detailed data entry (with a full size keyboard!).

I can't tell you how many envious looks I get on the dive boat (or at my car after a beach dive) when I whip out my Treo, point it at the computer (still dripping wet), and pull up my dive profile after a couple of beeps, all wirelessly!

Just out of curiosity, why does no one seem to dive with Cochran computers? I'm thinking about getting a computer soon, and the LDS was telling me about what they like about certain DC's they carry, and they seemed to speak very favorably of the Cochran's, I liked what he was saying, but when I check scubaboard there doesn't seems to be much about them. Any thoughts from the more educated among the board?

Thanks for all the help, as a newer diver looking for a DC, this is a great thread.

Jake

Back
Top Bottom