Dive Computer with Larger Font?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have been using a Suunto Cobra (Original Version) for several years now. One of the things I have noticed as I've gotten older is that I now sometimes have difficulty reading some of the tiny text on the console. For example, at the end of the dive when I hit 19ft, the console displays "STOP" when I am doing my safety stop. Since I have used this computer for years, I know what it says but it is harder for me to read it.

I'd welcome some input from any of you who have had a similar issue. I would like to buy a new computer at some point but would like to address this issue as well.

I had thought of getting a prescription mask but my doctor says my eyes are close to normal and only wants me to use over-the-counter reading glasses...which is fine above water....

I appreciate any input you have. If this is covered on another thread, please feel free to point it out but I didn't see one.

thanks!

jsl

In order of increasing price:

• Stick-in reading lens for one side of your mask
  • Contact lens for one eye
  • New eye doctor and permantly attached reading lens on one side of mask
  • Uwatec Galileo set to "Light" mode (big font, not so much information)

I have been using the Tusa IQ-700 and like the bigger text on the display. Take a look at the link below. If all goes well my prescription mask will be done in the next week or so.

Tusa DC Hunter Wrist Dive Computer (IQ-700)

I also have a Cobra. I need drugstore reading glasses for almost all written material, even to sign a credit card receipt, but my vision is pretty good otherwise.

I use this: XS Scuba Fusion 2 gauge Reader Mask, #MA280

I'm very happy with them, they pretty much solved my computer reading problem. Only available in +1.75, but that's enough for me for this application. They happen to fit my face pretty well. I even carry a spare in my dive bag, because what's going to be available at some resort's dive shop isn't going to work for me. As a bonus, I've used them for emergency reading glasses topside on a dive boat.

Note LP lists this as Free Shipping. Try calling them to see if they'll offer an even better price.

BTW, while they seem to work for some people, the stick-on lenses didn't stay on for me, and if you do a search, you'll see that many others have reported similar issues.

Last edited:
It's not only font size but also contrast levels that improve legibility. As "mature" divers, that's one of the main reasons we went with an OLED display in Atomic's Cobalt computer. Contrast ratios might be 20:1 on a monochrome LCD display, vs. 10,000:1 for a small OLED. And a true graphic display allows the use of fonts that are much easier to read. Other computers using this display technology include Liquivision and UEMIS.

I also second the recommendation for a reading lens in the mask, whatever computer you get.

It's not only font size but also contrast levels that improve legibility. As "mature" divers, that's one of the main reasons we went with an OLED display in Atomic's Cobalt computer. Contrast ratios might be 20:1 on a monochrome LCD display, vs. 10,000:1 for a small OLED. And a true graphic display allows the use of fonts that are much easier to read. Other computers using this display technology include Liquivision and UEMIS.

I also second the recommendation for a reading lens in the mask, whatever computer you get.

UEMIS is apparently out of business though.

I went from Suunto to Oceanic Proplus II
HUGE digits :)

IF your vision is close to normal (distance), but you need help up close - I don't think the 1 contact thing will work (it does for me). The stiick in readers are the cheapest option. However, I would encourage you to think about a bifocal mask. You may see the small critters that you haven't seen before (plus be able to read your guages).
Prescription Diving Mask Lenses

Last edited:
I do the belt and suspenders thing . . . I have bifocals in my mask (I suggest you try the pre-made ones first, because the aftermarket installation is EXTREMELY expensive) AND I use an OLED computer, the Liquivision X1. Although it was extremely expensive, I bought the X1 simply because I had had a bad experience trying to manage a free ascent in the dark, with the difficulties of getting the computer to hold a backlight or to hold my light properly to illuminate the face. The X1 solved the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom