Dive computer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1. Do you have an estimate of when your dive computer should fall into decompression?
IE- 80ft/ 30 minutes is a standard in my head from NAUI tables (or its getting close.)
Or 100ft for 20 minutes.

2. Do you carry tables, or have a plan if you disagree with your computer?

3. Do you know your dive computer algorithm?

4. Was the computer’s algorithm a consideration when buying a new computer?

The reason I ask is that there have been a series of dive computer errors and recalls. I was just curious how people treat and think of their dive computers.

I will share more in a bit.
Thanks, Andrew

1. Just after the no stop limit runs out

2. If I disagreed with it I wouldn't have bought it

3. Buehlmann ZHL8

4. Not really nearly all run a similar algorithm

Chris

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No

I only rely on my computer as a fairly accurate depth guage and primary dive timer. A failure would not constitue an emergency, or even a reason to termniate most dives.

Crazyduck:
1. Do you have an estimate of when your dive computer should fall into decompression?
IE- 80ft/ 30 minutes is a standard in my head from NAUI tables (or its getting close.)
Or 100ft for 20 minutes.

The reason I ask is that there have been a series of dive computer errors and recalls. I was just curious how people treat and think of their dive computers.

Thanks, Andrew

PerroneFord:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No

I only rely on my computer as a fairly accurate depth guage and primary dive timer. A failure would not constitue an emergency, or even a reason to termniate most dives.

I unfortunately went with the integrated air guage, so if it goes, that scraps my dive altogether, but I've got a good track record with computer failure. Only once out of 140 some odd dives. But yeah, definitely did my homework on the algorithm. I can tell you, however, after running decoplanner and playing with it, there are significant differences between Buhlman and VPM.

PvilleStang:
I can tell you, however, after running decoplanner and playing with it, there are significant differences between Buhlman and VPM.

I vote this for understatement of the year... :D

Crazyduck:
Or 100ft for 20 minutes.

Thanks, Andrew
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. no -currently $$ was what made me buy my current puter, future comp, yes, my current comp is an oldie but goodie proven from tons of relaible units in the field, that rep combined with price made it my current computer, futur is VPM-b/e

Crazyduck:
Or 100ft for 20 minutes.

Thanks, Andrew

1. 19 minutes @100 on air. 30 minutes at 100 on 32%. I once managed to have it set to 32% when diving air. I knew it was giving me garbage due to the having far too much NDL remaining. Just did 100 for 20 then plenty of safety/deco stops.

2. Tables if planning deco. Commonsense! if not.

3. Buhlman

4. No (bought it 10 years ago before I knew anything about algorithms)

Computer is an Aeris Atmos Pro. I will use it for mild deco dives (gasp! ) but I modify the ascent a LOT. i.e. when it calls for a stop at 10 feet on a 130 foot dive I pretty much ignore that and start stops at around 70 feet.

I carry a bottom timer as a backup. Having done a deco class helps a lot as well.............

1.--yep
2.--yep
3.--yep
4.--somewhat

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. Somewhat / wanted a computer that did dual gasses

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom