Dive computer for deaf diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive never managed to hear my computer beep at me wearing a 5 or 7mm hood anyway. Computers are a visual thing.

Chances are you wouldnt feel a vibrate if you had any sort of suit on anyway

drwicker:
I am severely hearing impaired and am looking for a dive computer with alarms that vibrate. I obtained my AOW this Summer and have been using dive tables for my dives. I was wondering if anyone knew of such a dive computer.

I have a watch with alarms and timers that vibrate and it works well for using the old "noodle" with dive tables but I would like to upgrade.

Any ideas?

Sharon

I have never been able to hear any of my dive computer warnings (3 different units).

Makes me pay attention to it more.

Good luck finding one that vibrates, but you can probably do without if need be.

drwicker,

I have three Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus II air integrated computers and a Sunnto Vyper. I have cut off all the audible alarms and simply monitor my computer on a regular basis.

My computers will flash when it determines I need to ascend due to air supply or it will flash if I'm making a decompression dive and show where I need to make my decompression stops.

Jim
Louisiana

A dear friend has a severe hearing impairment and she used a Suunto Cobra on a liveaboard recently with no problems. She knows to look rather than listen for alarms. She cannot hear the beep when she has her "ears", hearing aids, out.
Pick one that has a display that you can read easily.

Remember, a pressure gauge and TAG watch doesn't beep either.

You don't really need an alarm. In fact I find them quite irritating when other divers start bleeping away like a runaway alarm-clock store. I use a Suunto Favor which has no alarms at all, and as long as you regularly check your gauges (which you're doing anyway, right?), you'll be fine.

I have some hearing loss in certain frequency ranges and never hear my computers alarm even when I'm not wearing a hood. Like everyone else said ... you should be monitoring it visually anyway.

Eric

I'm not sure you would feel a vibrator through the thermal protection anyhow and I usually hear other divers alarms but not my own. My daughter has a 60% loss and just keeps an eye on the gauges.

This is a recent review I made on the TUSA IQ-850 VIBRATING Dive Computer. Like others said, best to pay attention, but as I found out, it's human to error; better to be safe than sorry. Plus, the IQ-850 allows you to set reminders, limits, etc that are very useful in your dive. Why wait until you hit the limits to be warned and take action.

Review on LP website:

I have Tinnitus and can't hear high frequency audible alarms very well. I actually went into DECO because of this on a Suunto (I was on air and the others on Nitrox...no one knew and I was so busy taking pictures I relied on the DM and other divers. Fortunately it was the first dive and there was no DC sickness. Lesson learned: take care of myself and not rely on others). The IQ-850 has a vibrating alarm and notification system like on a cell phone that works really well; I can easily feel it through my wetsuit sleeve. No more divers looking around to see who's alarm is going off. I can now notice my reminders and warnings in silence. 

I'll soon get the USB software transfer system now that I've successfully installed Parallels and W7 on my Mac (only used 10GB memory). It's really the only option and solution for Mac. Unlike the other user who had so much trouble with his IQ-850, mine has been flawless over 60 dives and a year of use. The only issue I've had is the display light on mine is very poor, I'm unable to light up the display on a night dive. Apparently this was a known issue on a certain batch of IQ-850's. Now that I'm home I've contacted TUSA on the matter and they said it's a known issue and to send it in to repair/exchange. They responded within hours and issued me an RMA; excellent customer service in my opinion. 

It's human to error and if you can't hear the alarms, it limits the use of a DC. If you have Tinnitus or hearing problems, this is the dive computer to get; it’s the only one I know that vibrates.

Plan your dive and dive your plan. Check your gauges often and you'll never have to worry about an alarm.

Back
Top Bottom