Dive Computer for Bonaire for Safety Reasons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. I will not share the computer with anyone at all.

Is the Oceanic 180 comparable to the others?

Sure, it is an Oceanic computer. I don't believe they make them anymore but they would be comparable to the Geo.

Sure, it is an Oceanic computer. I don't believe they make them anymore but they would be comparable to the Geo.
Except that the Geo gives you the choice of two algorithms, DSAT or Pelagic Z+ plus the choice of two conservative factors on top of that.

If he puts the Geo in Pelagic plus CF 2, it should be very conservative. I can compare some numbers if the OP wants.

what would be the best if i wanted to be conservative but get the best out of the trip as well?

I will of course . plan my dives accordingly and not rely on the dive computer to do the planning for me. THat would be counter productive.

Except that the Geo gives you the choice of two algorithms, DSAT or Pelagic Z+ plus the choice of two conservative factors on top of that.

If he puts the Geo in Pelagic plus CF 2, it should be very conservative. I can compare some numbers if the OP wants.

sure but I think what the op is looking for, this should work and he can get 2 for about his price range..

I have an older Geo computer. It is somewhat complex to operate. A couple of years ago I was trying to asses my surface interval time. Somehow while scrolling through the settings, I managed to throw it into the 'gauge' mode which pretty much rendered it useless for the rest of the dives. I was able to assess depth and time, but not much else. Now I am more careful about scrolling through the settings. It has been sturdy and reliable, but in the future, I will seek that absolute basic model with air and Nitrox settings, none of the other bells and whistles which will only aggravate me and reinforce the realization that a 3 year old has more tech savvy than myself.

My husband had a Scubapro computer. It was easier to operate than my Geo, but on one vacation it kept throwing him into decompression mode while our computers did not reflect his degree of saturation. Upon returning home, we brought it into our dive shop where they tested it and downloaded the profiles. They did not find any rationale as to why it kept alarming decompression mode. They sent it to Scubapro(since it was only 1.5 years old) for further testing. Scubapro Backed their computer settings stating that "2 dives a day for 5 days was enough to put anybody in deco mode". Us 5 other divers has no issues with deco warnings. I will never buy another Scubapro product again.

Final 2 cents. Whatever model of dive computer you choose, make sure it is one which allows you or your dive op to change out the battery. There are come which require you to send it to the company for every battery change.

what would be the best if i wanted to be conservative but get the best out of the trip as well?

I will of course . plan my dives accordingly and not rely on the dive computer to do the planning for me. THat would be counter productive.
Hmmm. Really tough question. The choice is so personal with so many variables to consider.

Let me ask a few questions.

What type of diving do you plan to do in the future? Deep? Advanced?

Do you want the most basic, easy to learn. Or something with a few more features but a greater learning curve?.

Is conservatism the most important feature? Will you mind when your computer limits your dives but your buddies' computers say they can continue to dive?

Honestly, with a little common sense and unless you have a reason to be ultra conservative, most any of them will work well. But given your concerns I would avoid anything that operates in pure DSAT.

But to give you a little comparison, you may know I recently spent a week in Bonaire. I dove the Cressi Giotto on SF 1 but I dove nitrox. I did 22 dives, max depth 110, and max dive time 75 minutes but average 60 minutes. I would have to look back but I probably averaged about 40 feet depth since I spend the last half of the dive at 30 to 20 feet. The only time my Cressi even approached NDL was the last dive on the last day. But remember, this was Nitrox.

Hmmm. Really tough question. The choice is so personal with so many variables to consider.

Let me ask a few questions.

What type of diving do you plan to do in the future? Deep? Advanced?

I will continue being recreational. This may be my last trip for a couple of years dedicated to diving. But normally I dive places like Belize, Roatan, Dominica which are always guided with the deepest being 70 ftish. I would say I would never be too deep or overly advanced unless its a single dive here and there (like a deep wreck).

Do you want the most basic, easy to learn. Or something with a few more features but a greater learning curve?.

I can work with either. Price point gets sensitive for me here.

Is conservatism the most important feature? Will you mind when your computer limits your dives but your buddies' computers say they can continue to dive?

Making sure I am safe is very important however having said that, keep in mind that I would never try to hit limits in the first place. I always come up with a reasonable amount of air left anyway. So more leaning towards conservative but not ultra conservative.

Honestly, with a little common sense and unless you have a reason to be ultra conservative, most any of them will work well. But given your concerns I would avoid anything that operates in pure DSAT.

But to give you a little comparison, you may know I recently spent a week in Bonaire. I dove the Cressi Giotto on SF 1 but I dove nitrox. I did 22 dives, max depth 110, and max dive time 75 minutes but average 60 minutes. I would have to look back but I probably averaged about 40 feet depth since I spend the last half of the dive at 30 to 20 feet. The only time my Cressi even approached NDL was the last dive on the last day. But remember, this was Nitrox.

In the 6 days I'll be in Bonaire, I'm hoping to hit 15 dives with maybe 16 or 17 as max. I do not see myself hitting more than 80 to 90 feet (unless something is incredibly recommended) and my normal dive profiles on other trips never go beyond 40-50 minutes (unless its a shallow 40 feet reef in which case I have hit 60 minutes.

Also, I believe one person in my party may not be advanced so for her, we may not go beyond 60-70 in the first place.

Answers within quotes in bold.

Good enough. Get the Leonardo if you find it at a great price and don't mind the one button function. If you want something a little easier to navigate with a 3 button function get the Giotto.

A lot of people really like the Zoop but other than the fact it is also conservative, I don't have any experience with it. Will take a look at its features if you like and compare but hopefully some one that actually has one will chime in.

Good enough. Get the Leonardo if you find it at a great price and don't mind the one button function. If you want something a little easier to navigate with a 3 button function get the Giotto.

A lot of people really like the Zoop but other than the fact it is also conservative, I don't have any experience with it. Will take a look at its features if you like and compare but hopefully some one that actually has one will chime in.

If i see the geo fall to 299, do you think its worth holding out for that and getting that? I don't mind spending that much unless you guys feel that is it overkill. at 299, it will be the same price as the giotto.

leonardo i just noticed is that 210 for the other color.

Personally, I don't like computer with only one button. You often have to start over your setup, if you miss the sequence. Other then that go for what you can afford.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom