dive computer dilemmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to spend my extra money on an AI computer that maximizes EVERY dive.

That sounds like it might be a good idea, at least to understand clearly.

But I'm not sure what it means to "maximize a dive", in a quantitative sense. So, in order to understand how an AI computer help you achieve this goal, what does it mean to "maximize a dive?

Most people who use a wireless AI computer end up with a backup SPG on a hose, so the argument that it saves a hose is not right.

It comes down to whether you want AI computer or not and whether you prefer wrist or console mount.

Adam

chironomidkraut,

AI or no AI is one debate indeed, but at the end, it is money. AI is good, but i'm not sure you would really save a hose, as it feels better to still have an SPG.

Another thing I would look at right now if buying a DC would be the algorithm it uses. Veo is DSAT, you may see whether you'd like more conservatism (like RGBM, and then a cheap suunto gekko would be nice)

If you want the AI, especially from Oceanic or Aeris, try to negotiate the price, and the MSRP seems to have a lot of margin to what you can possibly get, especially if you buy a little more stuff.

I used to be very critical about wireless AI, but I picked up a cheap transmitter for my Suunto on eBay and it becomes surprisingly addictive very quickly...

Is it the future? It will probably never be completely ubiquitous, but I don't doubt they will become more popular.

Do you need one? Absolutely not. But as I said, once you have one, you do really start to like it.

I won't say anything about AI wireless computers other than I have seen way more divers ahving problems on the boat with their wireless computers than with other computers. Even though there are probably 10 times more divers with non-wireless computers. Bad luck? Statistical fluke? I dunno but that's just been my perception.

i am considering getting the Oceanic Veo 3.0 dive computer, seems pretty user friendly, but people/shop owner/instructors are trying to tell me that the wireless air integrated dc's are the way to go..
if a shop owner is telling you this, well maybe they really think this, but mostly they make more money selling you a more expensive computer - so it's hardly an objective opinion. If the instructor is associated with the shop, same thing might be true.

Anyone else telling you this, it's just an opinion and may or may not apply to you. As one person said, decide if you want AI or not, and decide if you want wrist mount or not. There are pros and cons to everything (and it's been discussed to death, so plenty of information on it to be found around here.)

Sometime down the road with some experience you'll be in a better position to decide. So there's something to be said for buying an inexpensive computer to start with and using it for awhile. You might decide you really do want the toy with all the bells and whistles. So then buy one, and keep the first as a backup. (Or sell it, a basic Nitrox computer of recent vintage shouldn't be hard to sell.) Or, you may decide what you have is just fine and you either don't actually want that other stuff, or maybe it still sounds cool but not cool enough to want to pay for it.

I like my AI computer. I like my made-to-measure, $1200 shoes too. Do I consider either necessary? No. Worth the money? I guess it depends on how much disposable cash you have--they are both fairly frivolous purchases, in my mind. If price is a concern, ScubaToys and LeisurePro are offering an Oceanic Veo 100 NX nitrox wrist computer for $175 right now. That seems like a pretty good deal--you can buy a shoe with the money you saved. :wink:

But I'm not sure what it means to "maximize a dive", in a quantitative sense. So, in order to understand how an AI computer help you achieve this goal, what does it mean to "maximize a dive?

A dive computer maximizes your dive by providing you as much time as possible by factoring in your depth and time in a way that is much more favorable towards longer bottom times than the best calculations a human can do based on a more square or sawtoothed dive profile because a dive computer takes many more calculations, much more frequently. An AI goes a step further and determines if your remaining gas is the limiting factor in your remaining divetime and if so determines how long that gas will last based on your SAC and current depth and continuously updates that information as you change depth and breathing rate. By allowing the AI computer to do that work for you, you're freed up to enjoy the dive, therefore "maximizing" the experience in terms of enjoyment and time.

Most people who use a wireless AI computer end up with a backup SPG on a hose, so the argument that it saves a hose is not right

Adam

Says who Adam? The first person I interviewed that uses an AI computer only has 2 hoses on his rig because he doesn't use a backup SPG.

That person happens to be me, so in my limited survey 100% of divers do not use a backup SPG and do eliminate a hose.

Coming from someone that's never used AI I'd say you don't need it. Could it be a "nice-to-have" accesory? Maybe. Nice enough for that much of a price difference? Not for me.

One thing to guard against when you're starting to dive is to avoid getting expensive equipment that may not be compatible with the kind of diving you may evolve into. If further down the line you develop an interest for wrecks or caves you'll probably find out that some diving philosophies or instructors will advise you against using AI.

Even if you don't go to wrecks or caves, what if you wanted to stay down longer/deeper than the limits photographing a species you only find below certain depths. You'd probably want to use accelerated staged decompression, if that's the case you'd probably appreciate more the capability to handle 2 or 3 gases rather than the wireless capabilities.

When new divers start to acquire diving equipment, it makes sense to start with versatile equipment that'll allow you to grow into whatever diving direction you may decide to go at a later time. In the case of computers, most agencies agree that even at the highest levels of open circuit diving complexity a bottom timer (or two-1 backup) will suffice. With that in mind, a simple, reliable, nitrox capable computer with bottom timer mode would be your best bet.

By allowing the AI computer to do that work for you, you're freed up to enjoy the dive, therefore "maximizing" the experience in terms of enjoyment and time.

It only becomes "life support" equipment if you relinquish the support of your life to the machine. If it is so critical for life, then you might as well be proficient enough handling the tasks in your head. After all, your life depends on it. :wink: . There's nothing wrong with using computers as long as you're not wholly dependent on them. You have to be able to safely conclude a dive even if your computer malfunctioned or got eaten by the shark that took your arm at depth :D.

Last edited:
If your air consumption is good and you are good about monitoring your gas supply then save a couple of bucks and Don't go the AI route. Go with a VEO 2.0 or VEO 3.0 and a Single SPG. Of the two, I prefer the VEO 3.0. Money saved can go to a reg if you don't have one or a quality class, if you can find one.

On the other hand, if you are an air hog (yes, i know, take a quality buoyancy class, get more diving in, etc....) and if you are not good about monitoring the pressure gauge, then you may be a good candidate for an AI computer. AI will then help you for some of the following reasons:
Registers Breathing Parameters - Based on the Depth, Duration & how you've been breathing it will highlight, limiting factor. Ex: Forget NDL ...you only have 10 min of gas remaining
Turn PSI - You can set an alarm for when you reach a certain PSI that will remind you to turn your dive.
End PSI - Instead of your normal PSI end of zero, you may set the END for 500psi. If you do this, all the calculations that your computer will provide will leave you with an extra 500 psi on the boat or at 15' (depends on how you follow it).

These are great features but you do have to still be able to follow your computer and execute in order for them to work.

I still recommend to get bottom time & Training to improve your air consumption, but this should make you feel more comfortable in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom