Dive computer as bottom timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32:
The key item i didn't mention, is i already had a IQ700 I've been using for a while now. And I need to upgrade some other stuff, like new regs, so the tusa will suffice for a while, but I plan to add a bottom timer, when my other gear gets caught up.
OK,I get it now. You already have them, so I agree that it makes no sense to get something new. Just put them in guage mode and you're good to go.

I thought that you were in the market to make a purchase.

Definitely spend the money on other stuff like your new regs before trying to replace gear that will work just fine for now. Unless of course you can buy something on Ebay for less than you'll get for selling the ones that you have! :wink:

Christian

Firediver32:
Is a dive computer, such as a dive rite duo or tusa iq700, that is locked in gauge mode, BEFORE the dive accactable for use as a bottom timer, I understand the cost difference, but they have user replaceable batteries.
This is how I started. Apeks quantum (DR duo/IQ700) in computer mode, now exclusively in gauge mode. It has not seen computer mode in 3 years or so. Works perfectly.

I have a sensus Ultra as logger/log book and a D3 as backup BT. You don't need anything more.

I bought two Uwatec BT's in 1994 for $85 a piece. When their batteries died last year, Scubapro replaced them with new units for the cost of shipping. While the batteries are not replaceable, they're sealed and so don't leak, lasted a decade and cost lunch to replace. Hard to beat that.

Just a word of advice on the Sensus Pro device. They are great, but you can accidentally reset the clock (not sure about the new Ultra). Make sure you wipe the download device contact points before connecting the data logger. A static charge will reset the clock and you can loose your data. It has happened to me three time on the older model before I found out what was going on. Now I am more careful. Hopefully the new version corrects or lessens this problem because they are really sweet little devices.

headhunter:
You can always toss a Sensus Ultra in a pocket as your "black box" for collecting your dive data. The battery is supposed to last for 10 years and you can download the data to your computer. It's still less expensive to buy these two units than a computer.

I own an OMS bottom timer and really like it. I don't yet own a Sensus Ultra, but plan on getting one to record my dive profiles. I know someone who has one and they are definitely sturdy and very small.

Christian

Dan Gibson:
Just a word of advice on the Sensus Pro device. They are great, but you can accidentally reset the clock (not sure about the new Ultra). Make sure you wipe the download device contact points before connecting the data logger. A static charge will reset the clock and you can loose your data. It has happened to me three time on the older model before I found out what was going on. Now I am more careful. Hopefully the new version corrects or lessens this problem because they are really sweet little devices.
That's good to know!

Thanks.

Christian

Don't let that stop you from getting one. Heck, I may sell my old one an get the newer version.

headhunter:
That's good to know!

Thanks.

Christian

Dan Gibson:
Don't let that stop you from getting one. Heck, I may sell my old one an get the newer version.
I'm still planning on getting one of them. I've just got a few other things that I want to get in place first.

Christian

That's sounds familiar.

headhunter:
I'm still planning on getting one of them. I've just got a few other things that I want to get in place first.

Christian

I can't find any "bottom timers". Uwatec's website takes you to Scubapro...searching there does not return any "bottom timers".

Is a bottom timer just a stopwatch of sorts? Or is it a computer in gauge mode? It sounds from the discussion above that it is not a dive computer...but again I cannot find any.

Can anyone provide a link? Thanks.

NJMike:
I can't find any "bottom timers". Uwatec's website takes you to Scubapro...searching there does not return any "bottom timers".

Is a bottom timer just a stopwatch of sorts? Or is it a computer in gauge mode? It sounds from the discussion above that it is not a dive computer...but again I cannot find any.

Can anyone provide a link? Thanks.

Shows only dive time and depth (and temp, maybe max depth). No deco software

http://www.scubapro.com/prod/strum/Digital_depth_gauge/digitel_depth_gauge.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom