Dive computer as bottom timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is a dive computer, such as a dive rite duo or tusa iq700, that is locked in gauge mode, BEFORE the dive accactable for use as a bottom timer, I understand the cost difference, but they have user replaceable batteries.

Firediver32:
Is a dive computer, such as a dive rite duo or tusa iq700, that is locked in gauge mode, BEFORE the dive accactable for use as a bottom timer.
Absolutely - in fact, "gauge mode" is how most DIR divers actually use their dive computers. :D

As you've already read, you can use the computer in guage mode.

I'd like to point out that you'll be spending about $200 more for the computer than you would for an UWATEC/OMS bottom timer for the ability to have replaceable batteries. The batteries in the bottom timer I mentioned last for a very long time.

I'd rather have something that I didn't have to replace batteries in from time to time.

Christian

headhunter:
I'd like to point out that you'll be spending about $200 more for the computer than you would for an UWATEC/OMS bottom timer for the ability to have replaceable batteries. The batteries in the bottom timer I mentioned last for a very long time.
That's an excellent point - the Scubapro/Uwatec website claims that the batteries in their bottom timer will last for over 1000 dives. One other thing to consider - a computer with replaceable batteries will require a battery cover and O-ring of some type, which is more prone to leakage than a sealed unit such as the Uwatec.

I use the Uwatec myself and have been pretty happy with it.

If you want to download profiles and other fancy stuff check out computers as gauge though.

After my Aladin tec died last month I'm considering a uwatec timer as a backup though...

rjack321:
If you want to download profiles and other fancy stuff check out computers as gauge though.

After my Aladin tec died last month I'm considering a uwatec timer as a backup though...
You can always toss a Sensus Ultra in a pocket as your "black box" for collecting your dive data. The battery is supposed to last for 10 years and you can download the data to your computer. It's still less expensive to buy these two units than a computer.

I own an OMS bottom timer and really like it. I don't yet own a Sensus Ultra, but plan on getting one to record my dive profiles. I know someone who has one and they are definitely sturdy and very small.

Christian

headhunter:
You can always toss a Sensus Ultra in a pocket as your "black box" for collecting your dive data. The battery is supposed to last for 10 years and you can download the data to your computer. It's still less expensive to buy these two units than a computer.

I own an OMS bottom timer and really like it. I don't yet own a Sensus Ultra, but plan on getting one to record my dive profiles. I know someone who has one and they are definitely sturdy and very small.

Christian

Sensus plus OMS BT is still about what I paid for my lightly used Vyper.

The key item i didn't mention, is i already had a IQ700 I've been using for a while now. And I need to upgrade some other stuff, like new regs, so the tusa will suffice for a while, but I plan to add a bottom timer, when my other gear gets caught up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom