Dive Computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend the computer vs blind trust in the guide/DM.
I'd agree with this. Don't trust the DM to keep you safe. At least without verifying. Many operators these days require a computer, not sure if that's the case where you are diving, but definitely should check.

For your uses, a used computer can likely save you a bunch. Whatever you get, make sure you know how to use it, change settings, etc. That's one of the benefits of the Shearwaters. They are easy to use and reliable.

Another thought. Do you use an Apple Watch? If so, you may be a perfect candidate for the Apple Watch Ultra with Oceanic+ subscription. There are lots of things I don't like about this setup, but I recognize I'm not their target consumer. Your dive frequency may fit better. This would only make sense if you already use Apple Watches as you'd need to buy the Ultra first.

I am a big fan of Shearwater, and I am also a fan of rechargeable computers, like the Peregrine.

BUT, yours is the type of situation where I would actually steer you away from that.

Rechargeable computers need to be used somewhat often, or you have to pay attention to them between dive trips. Rechargeable batteries (in general, not just dive computers) don't like to sit for too long without having their charge topped up. If they sit too long and the charge drops too low, the battery can be permanently damaged.

For people who don't dive that often - as I would consider 2 - 3 times/trips per year - a rechargeable may not be the best choice. If you will be diligent about checking it every month or two and topping up the charge when it gets low (and ONLY when it's getting low), then it should be fine for you, but WILL you be that diligent?

For someone who doesn't dive that often, I generally recommend to have a look at the Oceanic Geo. It's a solid computer. It's not too expensive. It uses a normal watch (coin-style) battery that requires no maintenance other than changing it every now and then (every year or two?). And, it offers the DSAT algorithm, which is probably the most liberal algortihm available in a modern dive computer. It will generally give you longer NDLs than other computers (like a Zoop). But, it also allows you to adjust the Conservatism to make it more conservative if you wish.

If you are concerned with readability and want a bigger, brighter, easier to read display, then I would point you at the Shearwater Perdix. But, that is even more expensive than a Peregrine. It uses a standard AA battery, so it doesn't have the concerns that a built-in rechargeable (like the Peregrine) does. Use photo litihium AA batteries in it and take the battery out between dive trips (just for absolute maximum safety) and you'll never have a problem with it.

The expense of a Perdix probably doesn't make sense for someone that does 2 or 3 recreational trips a year... unless you want or need it for the screen size and readability.
very helpful! Cheers

I'd agree with this. Don't trust the DM to keep you safe. At least without verifying. Many operators these days require a computer, not sure if that's the case where you are diving, but definitely should check.

For your uses, a used computer can likely save you a bunch. Whatever you get, make sure you know how to use it, change settings, etc. That's one of the benefits of the Shearwaters. They are easy to use and reliable.

Another thought. Do you use an Apple Watch? If so, you may be a perfect candidate for the Apple Watch Ultra with Oceanic+ subscription. There are lots of things I don't like about this setup, but I recognize I'm not their target consumer. Your dive frequency may fit better. This would only make sense if you already use Apple Watches as you'd need to buy the Ultra first.
Hi Brian - appreciate your thoughts. Not an apple watch guy but I think I might be able to grab a deal on this board - I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

I recommend you buy a budget computer that you can read. Don't rely on following the dive master.

If I had to guess, your essential needs are:
  • Knowing how much no-stop time you have left
  • Knowing your depth
  • Information to do a safety stop (depth + time at the safety stop
All dive computers will do this.

You also don't need to buy new. Check out ebay. Here's the computer I use. It retails at $350 and it's at $96 right now. Aqua Lung i300C Dive Computer - Black 53242340670 | eBay That said, from the picture I can tell it needs a new battery, that'll be around US$10.

Everyone else is right about readability. That'll be important for your eyes.

And don't worry. You don't need to always have your eyes on the computer. You'll adapt to whatever frequency you'll need to look at it based on depth and time.

I recommend you buy a budget computer that you can read. Don't rely on following the dive master.

If I had to guess, your essential needs are:
  • Knowing how much no-stop time you have left
  • Knowing your depth
  • Information to do a safety stop (depth + time at the safety stop
All dive computers will do this.

You also don't need to buy new. Check out ebay. Here's the computer I use. It retails at $350 and it's at $96 right now. Aqua Lung i300C Dive Computer - Black 53242340670 | eBay That said, from the picture I can tell it needs a new battery, that'll be around US$10.

Everyone else is right about readability. That'll be important for your eyes.

And don't worry. You don't need to always have your eyes on the computer. You'll adapt to whatever frequency you'll need to look at it based on depth and time.
very helpful - thanks!

If you're mostly doing NDL dives at daytime then a LCD display will do and the issues that deco divers have with the Suunto style computers don't matter. As an older diver you may like the larger display of the Mares Quad.

If you're mostly doing NDL dives at daytime then a LCD display will do and the issues that deco divers have with the Suunto style computers don't matter. As an older diver you may like the larger display of the Mares Quad.

I'm a deco diver. Even on daytime NDL dives, I still have issues with Suunto computers and the Mares Quad.

They all run some version of the RGBM algorithm. That results in (generally speaking) less bottom time than a computer running the DSAT algorithm.

The DSAT algorithm seems to be a safe algorithm. Many, many divers have been using it for NDL dives for years and I don't know of any even suggestion that people are getting bent because of it.

You can make a DSAT computer run more conservatively. But, you can't make an RGBM computer run less conservatively.

For NDL diving, I would always prefer a DSAT computer over an RGBM computer.

Disclaimer: I would prefer a computer running Buhlmann with Gradient Factors over any of those, but that is another discussion and is reflective of the fact that I do more deco diving than NDL diving...

So, you are doing 60 dives per year? I checked the price of the cheapest Suuntu computers and it looks like around $300. In your first year, that comes out to $5 per dive. Considering you are paying air fare, hotel costs, meals, drinks, costs for dives, that is cheap thrills.

A dive computer will give you depth (nice to know), it will help you count down your safety stop, it will keep track of your surface interval, and it will keep track of your nitrogen off gassing through the trip,

Following the dive master is not something you can rely on. The dive master is probably not doing all of your dives. They will not be following the same profile (and on deep dives that makes a big difference especially if you dive 20’ deeper than the dive master). And many dive masters are the last in and first out, so their duration is shorter.

I was on one dive trip. There was one buddy team of experienced divers who decided to dive by following the old dive tables. The resort required computer use but they did not refer to them during the dive. Both of these guys came up with the computers locked up for violating the NDLs and that was the first dive. Fortunately, both showed no ill effects. But it is a “you bet your life proposition”.

Dive computers are cheap thrills. It just makes sense to use them.

So, you are doing 60 dives per year? I checked the price of the cheapest Suuntu computers and it looks like around $300. In your first year, that comes out to $5 per dive. Considering you are paying air fare, hotel costs, meals, drinks, costs for dives, that is cheap thrills.

A dive computer will give you depth (nice to know), it will help you count down your safety stop, it will keep track of your surface interval, and it will keep track of your nitrogen off gassing through the trip,

Following the dive master is not something you can rely on. The dive master is probably not doing all of your dives. They will not be following the same profile (and on deep dives that makes a big difference especially if you dive 20’ deeper than the dive master). And many dive masters are the last in and first out, so their duration is shorter.

I was on one dive trip. There was one buddy team of experienced divers who decided to dive by following the old dive tables. The resort required computer use but they did not refer to them during the dive. Both of these guys came up with the computers locked up for violating the NDLs and that was the first dive. Fortunately, both showed no ill effects. But it is a “you bet your life proposition”.

Dive computers are cheap thrills. It just makes sense to use them.
thanks bud - solid advice.

Hey gang. New here and I thought I'd ask the experts...no doubt this has been discussed here a lot and I have done some searching so bear with me;

I'm a "veteran" (read OLD) diver and I pretty much just do warm water resort dives. I have a liveaboard excursion on my bucket list but that's not immediate.
My typical Caribbean holiday (mostly Cuba these days) includes a 10 dive package, 2 per day one deep one shallower

So it seems like I need a computer, or least that's what I'm told by fellow divers. I've been looking at some cheaper options like Novo Zoop but a peregrine is also in the mix.

Question: for a person who's lucky to get in the water 2-3 trips a year (apx 10 dives/trip) does it really make sense to spend almost $800 on a computer?
(for context, I was licensed in 1978 and we did tables) Up until now Ive just been following the dive master and do whatever they do....

Thanks for any tips or advice. Sorry for the lengthy post.
I hear you. I earned my YMCA certification from a Navy UDT diver in '73 then followed up with a full string of PADI certifications when my wife learned to dive for her 60th birthday. In short, a dive computer is another safety device for our chosen activity that requires life support gear to participate in. Think of a dive computer as an enhancement to dive safety, similar to BCDs, the additional octopus regulator, DSMBs, and emergency radio signalling devices. I think you'll grow to appreciate the data one will provide on your dive, as well as recall in planning similar dives. The Shearwater Peregrine has a well thoughtout interface providing just what you need for a reasonable cost. I use it as a backup computer to my primary air integrated computer. About that bucket list liveaboard trip - most liveaboards require the use of a computer - your own or you can rent one for the time you are diving with them. Consider renting a computer for your next day trip - most dive center rentals are the console type of computer, but at least you get to experience what they provide before committing to purchase your own.

Back
Top Bottom