Dive Club coming to Netflix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I'm concerned, besides JYC TV show, Primus got me hooked on diving when I was 5 or 6. Sea Hunt was never broadcast around here, but I'd have loved it.

Maybe the show gets a few kids interested in diving.
Only if they can take their mobile phone with them for "fear of missing out".:facepalm:

Only if they can take their mobile phone with them for "fear of missing out".:facepalm:

Good. Maybe they'll post videos that inspire an interest in diving and ocean conservation in even more people.

Several companies make really awesome housings to use phones for underwater photography now. Someone (dammit blanking on his name) gave an awesome presentation at the last Boston Sea Rovers with some compelling arguments for the iphone as an underwater video system.

Good. Maybe they'll post videos that inspire an interest in diving and ocean conservation in even more people.

Several companies make really awesome housings to use phones for underwater photography now. Someone (dammit blanking on his name) gave an awesome presentation at the last Boston Sea Rovers with some compelling arguments for the iphone as an underwater video system.

Dive more, post more. That is how to get the social media generation.

As they aren't going to be opening print magazines or rando websites (unless it is a teenage boy looking for soapie girls).

I waded through this show. It took me a while to figure out why none of these twenty something women never needed to be anywhere… apparently they were supposed to be teenage girls. It would have been infinitely improved if they had done a couple of things differently.

First, either make the show about a group of twenty something women with jobs in a resort town. Or make it about teenagers and use real teenagers. None of the actors, male or female looked under twenty. But giving them fashionable dive gear with no visible means of support and riding bikes around town was just weird, even after I realized they were supposed to be kids. Twenty somethings might as well be sleazing around like 90210 or Melrose Place. Disney, Nickelodeon and Flipper never had a problem casting kids as kids.

Second, more diving less singing. The reefs were gorgeous, but the girls kept getting out of the water. If you have a fundraising talent show to save the historic light house, make sure it involves liquor and strippers. If you have 25 year old models pretending to be sixteen, I don’t really need to listen to them pretending to have musical talent.

I didn’t mind the preposterous plot, but just give them age appropriate things to do. One a dive instructor, another a waitress, hotel worker, a cop, local librarian (Batgirl?). Give them jobs that drive the plot. As supposed kids, there was no indication that they ever went to school either. Never had an issue paying for airfills or dive gear that real kids would face. They had matching/ color coordinated dive gear, who the heck paid for all of it? It would have been vastly more interesting to have them swiping gear from others, fixing broken gear in between dives and not having gas money like real twenty something divers.

I'm halfway through and mostly agree with CT-Rich. The age thing is a real problem because the girls are definitely presented as eye candy to the viewer. Lots of snorkeling and diving in bikinis, dancing around the party shack / dive club HQ etc. If they are supposed to be teens, the show is exploitative at best.

Also, the writing and plot are terrible. Spoiler alert -- one of the girls in the club disappears almost immediately. We don't even get to know her enough to care if she turns back up. The other girls alternate between pouting and searching for their bestie and dancing excitedly -- without provocation -- to La Bamba. It's a crazy swerve in tone that happens about every ten minutes. Also, two of the girls are rich / socialite types but supposedly down-to-earth, and the other two are just rich -- that does not seem likely in a BFE town in Australia.

Now for the good news -- the actual Dive Club -- a large room right on the main dock -- is great! I would love to be in a club just like that, preferably with only the 4-5 other people. I just wish they had a mini-sub with torpedoes or lasers but that will probably be the spinoff "Guys Dive Club"

I ran across a video for a program out of Australia called “Dive Club”. It is coming to Netflix September 2nd. It looks like a production for young adults. I will probably watch some of it just for the diving, even if it will come across as creepy….
Unlike most shows and movies featuring scuba diving, Dive Club most of the time consistently depicts realistic dive scenes that follow diving protocols accurately.

To make the series more realistic, I think they should periodically bicker about BP/Ws and crappy certification agencies. A series cliffhanger could be written in with a potential rupture amongst besties stemming from an argument over teaching from knees versus NB.

Unlike most shows and movies featuring scuba diving, Dive Club most of the time consistently depicts realistic dive scenes that follow diving protocols accurately.
I am a firm believer in the Palmer Inverse Skin Law. The Law states “the more skin visible is the inverse square of the crap I give about being technologically accurate”.

If you put Jessica Alba in a bikini and a scuba tank, I could give a crap about if she has clipped off her safe second properly or is depicted holding a safety stop at the end of a dive. Put her in a DUI drysuit and I want to see her dive plan and know which deco gas she is planning on using.

This is true for science fiction and police procedurals. With Erin Gray in spandex, I could care less about the physics of space travel. Batgirl in a Catsuit? Yeah, Joker can totally rob a bank and go unrecognized.

The problem with this show was not the depiction of diving, but the depiction of these women as girls. They could have used the exact same cast, setting and plot and created a really fun, mildly campy series.

Back
Top Bottom