Dive Camera Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I could get a good setup with a strobe for that, that would be great

Everything is relative. I agree with the statement above that you'll want to be able to control your settings so full manual control. A lower end canon with canon housing should leave you some pocket change for an entry level used strobe if you buy on Ebay.

Everything is relative. I agree with the statement above that you'll want to be able to control your settings so full manual control. A lower end canon with canon housing should leave you some pocket change for an entry level used strobe if you buy on Ebay.

Is the Canon A570 considered a lower end camera? The specs on it seem pretty good to me. I don't see where the real difference is between that and the A710 or whatever it is. But judging by the pictures I've seen by the guy who recommended it, it looks like I can't go wrong going that route.

I should add that there is nothing wrong with Canon housings, I was just pointing out why the prices are different.

Thanks, yeah I'll probably go with the canon housing and the A570. Now onto strobes, anyone got a good place to shop for one other than ebay? Will the shop I patronize have the info on which cameras the strobe will fit on?

Thanks, yeah I'll probably go with the canon housing and the A570. Now onto strobes, anyone got a good place to shop for one other than ebay? Will the shop I patronize have the info on which cameras the strobe will fit on?

Like Alcina said - you can't go wrong with a Canon "A" series. If you want to see some pictures taken with the A720IS click on my Picasaweb link in my signature and select the Sipadan 2007 folder or if you want to look at some video clips taken with the same camera click the Photobucket link. All my pictures were taken either natural light or with the internal strobe and I am using the Canon housing.

Is the Canon A570 considered a lower end camera
I was speaking in pure generic terms. I consider the G9 a step above the rest, then of course your DSLR group. With that said, there are those who produce consistently better pictures than me with much less money underwater....haha. I've got plenty of room to grow though:D

Will the shop I patronize have the info on which cameras the strobe will fit on?
Any strobe built for digital should work just fine. There are nicer strobes with more versatility that would consume your entire budget. I don't know the price but Sea&Sea just release the YS17 which would work well.

The strobe you want if you can afford it is the Inon D2000.

N

If you are looking for a "budget" strobe, check into the Ikelite af-35. You can find it online for around 365 bucks fully set up... tray, strobe, sensor. I had a guy on the boat last week that had one and he was quite happy with it with his Canon (can't remember which camera), he'd had a Sea and Sea setup previously and much preferred this. It's not a powerful flash, in case you are thinking about upgrading the camera setup later, but he thought it was just fine for what he uses it for. I'll probably pick one up in the next month or two myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom