Dive Camera Buoyancy ???s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yoda4x4

Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently bought an inexpensive camera for diving. I've noticed that it is positively bouyant and gets in the way at times (I have it clipped to a D ring on my right shoulder strap). Is there a way to make it either neutrally or slightly negatively bouyant? What have you all done to yours?

Thanks,
David

I spent an age trying to get mine neutral but it was a waste of time. It is much better to be a little bouyant so that it does not bang into stuff. You will quickly get used to it. My first trip it was a pain - now I hardly notice it is there until I need it.

I put it on my right wrist so that it does not get caught up with the inflator etc.

You could put a heavier SS clip on the camera to make it - :)

If you have ANY room inside, get some stick on type lead weight that they use for balancing motorcycle/car wheels.

I have mine at the end of a 1.5' piece of surgical tubing which has 2 clips, one at each end. I put one clip on the d-ring on the right shoulder of my bc and the other one (which is where the camera is attached on the d-ring on the right side of my waist. This keeps the camera out of my way and I just unclip the waist clip to use the camera. If I ever accidentally let go of the positively bouyant camera it is not going to go anywhere because it is still attached to my shoulder.

TTSkipper

You can also try the heavy tape they use for changing the weight distribution properties of a tennis raquet.

Many of the newer small digital housing have a lead weight that can be screwed into the tripod mount on the bottom. It make it slightly heavy so it will hang down not up.

Canon makes a great weighting system for buoyancy control of U/W Housings. They're deigend to screw into the tripod fitting on the bottom of the camera inside the housing. However, they come in a series of small lead wafers that can be added/subtracted as necessary. I've seen these used in many different ways to the right result. Canon's part number is: 9876A001.

If you only need small amount of weight you can use a Stainless Steel bolt with some SS washers on it in the tripod socket. If you need a bit more weight you could try to find a bar of SS to drill a hole in and use instead of the washers.

~Jess

yoda4x4:
I just recently bought an inexpensive camera for diving. I've noticed that it is positively bouyant and gets in the way at times (I have it clipped to a D ring on my right shoulder strap). Is there a way to make it either neutrally or slightly negatively bouyant? What have you all done to yours?

Thanks,
David

It maybe helpful if you indicate what type of camera you are using?

I don't bother with adding lead to my PnS camera, let if be slightly positive. If you want to add weight, many manufactures make lead that attaches to the tripod socket. They are VERY proud of these weights as it will cost you $25 for about $.50 worth of weight.

Others have suggested a bolt with washers, or whatever. If you must add weight, I'd go that route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom