Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I call myself THRIFTY (my friends call me something else)

I just got mine today! I have already packed it to see how it works. I put in bcd, fins, reg, 3 ml wetsuit, boots, save a dive kit and had alot more room. Did not pack turtle or spider pack. I got on the scale, only 18 pounds! It is not as big as I thought it would be. It is the exact same size (heighth and width) as my hard sided American Tourister carry on. I can already tell this is going to be a wonderful investment.

I cannot believe how efficient and tiny this bag actually compacted to! It’s so neat and tidy – my hubby called it my “Tinkerbell bag”!

Zegal BC, 5m wetsuit & boots, hooded vest, fins, gloves, snorkel, reg w/ full octo. I’m putting my Galileo in a small carryon. Did not use the fin caddy. Haven’t decided if I’ll use the spider pack - I can fit the few clothes I’ll need for a Fiji trip in a small shoulder bag. I’m a minimalist, but there is a ton of room in the spider and turtle pack, should I need it.

to fppf - I guess if you dont like it, fly first class. I do and have never had any issues with the dive caddy. Airlines are hard on luggage period. We do about 5-6 dive trips a year and we have never had any issues with the dive caddy. In fact, we have had a couple "space waitresses" comment on how cool they were.

Last edited:
I'll add my story. I bought the Gen 1 version a few years ago at the Long Beach scuba show. I have a Scubapro Knighthawk BCD (size large), APS Manta Ray fins, a ScubaPro MK25/600 regular set, AquaLung Octo, and your standard boots and mask. I had two challenges with the set up, one that I could resolve and one I could not resolve. The first problem was the BCD tank buckle. The Knighthawk buckle is a bit awkward. I was eventually able to position it in such a way that I could compress the BCD. The problem I could not resolve was the space required by the regulators. The MK25 is a great reg but it is rather bulky and difficult to coil the hoses and the reg to make them compact. I finally decided that I would have to carry my reg in a separate bag. Everything else fit reasonably well, but I eventually decided that it was too cumbersome and ended up selling the bag. I suggest that before you buy the bag that you either find someone who has one and try your gear in it or see if you can try your gear in it at a dive show where one is being sold.

My way of loading my KnightHawk and MK25/S600 into the dive caddy is to place the regulator in a corner where the shoulder cut out in the BCD is. then the hoses coil around and the secondaries are placed along side the BCD. When the caddy is folded together, the secondaries are inside, next to the solid fold. I have never had a problem putting the dive caddy into the overhead luggage bins. Never been told to gate check it.

Looks cool, but $299! Ouch.
I use a samsonite F'lite for my rEvo, fits like it was made for it.

I'm selling BRAND NEW Dive Caddy System GEN 1 (3 pcs available) , no original box...$199 each plus $15 S/H.

I just attended Scubaboard Invades Cozumel with my DiveCaddy for the first time and although it was heavy on the way down (added essential carry on items to the bag along with my gear), it was awesome on the way home - put my fins in my checked bag and all other non-scuba items also and it was perfect size/weight and easier to carry.

On the way down though, bag was quite heavy and large, but I still managed to get on 3 connecting flights from Vancouver BC to Cozumel, MX. No issues whatsoever! I got compliments galore on the reg/fins carry system that comes with it for lugging your stuff onto the boat. Just wear BC and carry the handle with everything else. Very cool!

The question that I see being asked over and over is what to do when it comes time to travel on the airplane and how do we get our gear to our destination safely. I recently traveled to Maui to complete my Divemaster course and I had planned to take everything including equipment that I may or may not need. I began packing for my trip a full week before my departure date as I knew I was going to be heavy on the first go. I had planned a 2 week stay so I planned to have a weeks worth of clothing and would have to do laundry once during my stay.

The first go around the checked bag was at 57 lbs so of course overweight charges would apply. I also had a carryon bag from Akona which I had placed my Sealife Camera w/ Strobe, Regulator, Dive Computer and Mask (in the plastic box). With all of this it only left enough room for 2 t-shirts (rolled up) and 1 pair of lightweight shorts. I still needed some extra clothing, underwear and a minimum of 1 more pair of shorts so the current set up was not going to work.

My main bag was overweight with dive gear, the carry on wasn't going to be enough so I was left with the task of an alternate solution. I weighed my main bag to find out it was 11.5 lbs. That gave me a place to start and if I could find a larger wheeled dive bag that was lighter weight I was determined to buy one. I headed off to the local dive shop to check my options. Once I arrived at the dive shop I began to look at all the different bags and weights of each of them. None of the bags where under the 11.5lbs mark. I then was directed to the DIVE CADDY as an option and was told that this system would carry my needed dive gear onboard the airplane as carry on luggage. I thought to myself instant problem solver. I bought the bag and headed home to review the videos on DiveCaddy - Home to show how to pack and stow the gear in order to take it as a carry-on.

If you are thinking right now there is no way to carry on a full set of dive gear you are in for a treat. Below is a list of everything that went into the dive caddy and traveled all the way to Maui with me safely stored in the overhead compartment.

(1- 3mm O'neil Shorty, 2 pr-1.5mm Neo Shorts,5 T-Shirts, 2pr-Casual Shorts, 2pr-swim trunks, Sealife DC800 camera, XL Oceanic V16 Open Heal Fins, Dive Mask w/ Plastic Box, Snorkel, LG-SeaQuest Latitude XLT, Regulator, Dive Computer, 1pr-5mm Dive Boots, 1pr-Gloves, 1 2mm Beanie, iPod and Charger, Cell Phone & Charger, Sony PSP w/charger, Surface Marker Sausage w/ finger reel, Backup Light, Small Headlamp, and my logbook case)
All this went into the dive caddy nice and neat just like they showed on the video. I used the Turtle pack and spider pack of course.

The extra bonus was on the return flight. The airline was checking all the wheeled carry-on bags with the measuring tape and and if it was an inch over it had to be gate checked. They didn't even question me as I am sure it was because it was a backpack in their mind so there was no need to measure it. It made me even more of a believer at that point that the Dive Caddy is the ultimate in Dive Travel Luggage.

Because of the Dive Caddy I was able to get my checked bag in under 40lbs which gave me some room to bring home goodies for family and friends.

I also noticed that once I returned home I found I had a seam that popped. I called Dive Caddy and was told they would repair or replace the item for me no questions asked now that's what I call Customer Service. They stand behind the product 100%.

IMHO you can pack everything you would need for a 4 night 5 day dive trip in one Dive Caddy and not have to even worry about checking a bag unless of course you have to have that dive knife with you and full size shampoo and soap bottles.

If you're on the fence about the Dive Caddy I'll give you this challenge. Pack your wet suit, BCD, Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Booties, and Regulator along with extra clothing into a standard carry-on bag if you find one that works let me know but I know from first hand experience if it looks even remotely oversized the airline is going to check it.

I am sure that during future travels my Dive Caddy is going to be going with me regardless of travel by Plane, Train, Auto or Boat. Kudo's to the team at Dive Caddy.

I have two for sale. My wife is not up to the task of carrying all of her gear in a back pack.

I just discovered the Dive Caddy, at a local dive show. I have to say I haven’t gotten the packing right yet, but I can see how it WILL SOLVE my travel woes. I will be working on placing some of my less critical equipment in my single checked bag, and Caddy the rest. I am also thinking I might have to rethink my BCD and look at a more travel friendly model.
For the most part my dive trips are longer than a week, so limiting myself to just the Dive Caddy seems unrealistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom