Dive buddy in Austin TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txbrent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings from Austin TX,

I got my OW certification last month and to my shame, I haven't been diving since.

It turns out that my scuba diver friends have been spoiled by tropical waters. They're happy to go to the Flower Gardens or Cozumel, but nobody wants to go to Lake Travis.

I've purchased all of my own equipment, but sit at home on the weekend wishing I was diving.

So, it looks like I'm in the market for a new buddy. Anybody have some great advice on how to find a decent one? I'm probably one of the most conservative guys you'd ever meet, and have some concerns about publishing my number on the internet, or picking a buddy at random. I'd appreciate any wisdom SB could offer!

You should be able to run out to Windy Point on Lake Travis at any given weekend and meet lots of divers...

Best of Luck to you.

I kept taking classes... met people from all different walks of life... each interested in (and committed to) diving.

I certified in Lake Travis a dozen or so years ago... never stopped learning (or loving it)... any mudhole... any time!

Funny how things work out... look me up when you find yourself in Key Largo.

KeyLargoBrent once bubbled...
I kept taking classes... met people from all different walks of life... each interested in (and committed to) diving.

I certified in Lake Travis a dozen or so years ago... never stopped learning (or loving it)... any mudhole... any time!

Funny how things work out... look me up when you find yourself in Key Largo.

You have a point with taking classes and taking classes and yes, you will meet new divers......

......but.....

.....it certainly adds up cost-wise....$200 here....$150 there....another $200 here.......$300 there and all additional equipment absolutely required for this particular class....ching-ching.........$245.

Sheesh!!

txbrent,

You might want to post on the Texas Swamp Diving thread--lots of good folks who dive all over the state.

More directly, we (Diver Kat and me) will probably dive this weekend at Windy Point or Mansfield Dam. If you are interested in a nice, easy dive, let me know. We generally stay above 60', work on navigation and skills, and chat with other divers afterwards.

Alan

Thanks to all who posted and sent me a PM! Good to see lots of Lake Travis divers.

alanconstant - I appreciate the pointer to the Texas Swamp Diver thread. I'll see if I can find my way to their next local get together.

Safe diving!

Hi txbrent:

I will dive with you most any time. Just let me know.

Todd.

txbrent once bubbled...
Greetings from Austin TX,

I got my OW certification last month and to my shame, I haven't been diving since.

It turns out that my scuba diver friends have been spoiled by tropical waters. They're happy to go to the Flower Gardens or Cozumel, but nobody wants to go to Lake Travis.

I've purchased all of my own equipment, but sit at home on the weekend wishing I was diving.

So, it looks like I'm in the market for a new buddy. Anybody have some great advice on how to find a decent one? I'm probably one of the most conservative guys you'd ever meet, and have some concerns about publishing my number on the internet, or picking a buddy at random. I'd appreciate any wisdom SB could offer!

I know that ScubaLand on Anderson has a large group of people that stay connected on the web, and they plan diving trips all during the year. This is a great way to just show up with a group and hook up with others needing a buddy.

I'm sure other local dive shops have the same kind of set up.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom