Dive buddy dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khatley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I have been diving for about 8 years. We used to go to Cozumel 2 or 3 times a year but then we had our first child together and we have decided on our first dive trip since he was born (18 months old). We are wanting to try something new. Now I am pretty much open to anything new and love to night dive and find all the sharks and big fish I can but she is plenty content just floating down a wall with a divemaster close by when I start going through the swimthroughs and get lost in my play. I have posted a few times and have said that we have free tickets anywhere American flies in the Contenintal US, Mex, or Carribean. After many recommendations I was set on Bonaire but the drive and dive did not tickle her fancy and she is a bit nervous about going somewhere new without a group. She is worried about security and our first try at going on our own using a compass did not fare so well. I think she would be fine but when describing what I have read she was like I want a DM or someone who knows what they are doing. She is not interested in diving as much as I am and refuses to do anymore night dives. Now she did say that a liveaboard sounds like fun; although it is a bit more expensive than we were wanting to deal with, I think that may end up being the best option for me as I will get to dive all I want, and certainly get in some night dives with people I meet on the trip. Now I was thinking maybe I could meet someone that was going on a trip that is in a similar circumstance and we can buddy up and go together. We are pretty much open as to when/where we go but I think the tickets have to either be booked or used by April 1st(getting confirmation soon). Our anniversary is at the end of March so I was thinking that may be a good time to go. So that being said we are in our early mid 30's and in the North Dallas area and am just posting to see what kind of response I get. Feel free to PM with any questions or suggestions. If you already have a trip planned that meets our requirements and would like some company let me know that as well. We have dove in Bahamas, Coz, Florida, and Cayman and would probably prefer something new.
Thanks and sorry for the long post,
Ken

we have a group(30) going to costa rica..see info at capt.mikes diving (do search on net) and look at travel..there will be 2 instructors going..call for booking and or any other info..you could also pm me and leave your email add.

khatley,
a friend of mine from holland and i will be in belize may 6.
we will be on the belize aggressor.
i always meet and dive with nice people while on a livaeboard.
this will be my first trip to belize and i'm excited about all the good diving i have read about on this board.
maybe your wife will feel more comfortable with a select group diving up to 5 times a day.
there is no pressure on how many you dives you do a day.
there's always a dm in the water.
the crew keeps a close eye on everyones profile.
the food is good.
it would be a pleasure diving with y'all.
regards,

Ken, I don't have any suggestions on where to go. We're doing a sailboat liveaboard in the Bahamas in June, so that might be too late for you tickets. I do know there are still spaces available, though. I did want to mention that liveaboard prices include everything - accomodations, food, and diving. When you look at landbased trips and add that all up, the price isn't that different, especially when you consider you're diving 2-3 times more on a liveaboard than you are from land. In fact, our Bahamas trip is costing us less than our land based trip to Belize last year.

A bunch of us (8 for now)are going to Bonaire in July, your welcome to meet us there. We have a lot of experience on Bonaire and are happy to share what we know. Drop me a PM if your interested.

Well, I just found out we have to have completed our trip by April 5th...so if there are any trips soon let me know. I am really interested in liveaboards, Bonaire, and Honduras but am pretty much open...

Well, we were planning on Bonaire or a live aboard in turks...unfortunatly we can't get air before our deadline. I also found out the tickets are not good to Belize or Honduras. So now I am looking at Granada, St. Maartin, Tobago or somewhere in that area. Looks like the tickets are for Easter Carribean only...any other suggestions would be appreciated.

khatley,
if tobago is a consideration there is alot of good info on this forum.
look up a town called speyside.
there are several members of this board that have been there.
i was there on a liveaboard, so the diving is good but i can't say much about the two resorts in speyside.
also remember that current is a factor when diving that area.
drop us a trip report when you decide and have a safe return home.
regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom