Dive Boat Unattended By Dive Op With Divers Below - Safe Practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, since @Wookie has been in this thread and I don't THINK he said there is an actual reg against it, I'm guessing there is not. Maybe I misread something?

I can't FIND one. I've spent as much time as I'm going to looking for one. When I asked my contact at USCG, she said "Of COURSE the operator has to remain on the vessel". I expect if she ever comes up with an answer, I will pass it along.

Additionally, I just reread the title. In my opinion, this is NOT a safe practice, but everyone's tolerance for safety and pain is different....

If a dive guide is a PADI-certified Divemaster professionally engaged in that capacity, then are there not PADI standards that would be applied to his/her actions, even with no students involved? As an SDI DM, I have agency standards that apply to my conduct all the time.

EDIT: I'm not saying the DM did anything wrong. I'm just saying that it seems like there COULD be PADI standards that applied in this situation, even though there was no training happening.
I am a PADI certified diver. I do not think PADI has anything to do with any of my dives. Why would it be any different for anyome else rhat had sone sort of PADI c card?
Unless they were undertaking a PADI training dive.

If we can catch a weather break, my family and I will be having our first ocean (and boat) dive on Monday. I'll probably be asking nonchalantly if they're all going in the water with us. I'm interested if they'll be shocked by the question.

I am a PADI certified diver. I do not think PADI has anything to do with any of my dives. Why would it be any different for anyome else rhat had sone sort of PADI c card?
Unless they were undertaking a PADI training dive.

Divemaster is a Professional certification. Once you move up to being certified as a Pro, there are different rules. Rules that apply when you're diving and even rules that apply when you're Internet diving. :) What happened with the OP's dive and the boat would have something to do with PADI if there were any PADI Pros (i.e. DM or higher) on the boat. Earning/taking a DM card has pros AND cons....

Does PADI have standards for DMs relating to boats?

Etiquette, if anything. PADI does not regulate/determine/dictate Maritime Law, Safe Boating, etc.

As I see it, there are potentially two separate ways PADI could be implicated: (1) if PADI imposed some requirement on DMs relating to boats (or even a more general duty of care to the DM's clients could be the key), and a PADI DM employed by the dive op did not follow the requirement; or (2) if PADI imposed some duty on PADI-affiliated dive ops relating to boats, and the captain or crew employed by the dive op did not follow the requirement. Stuart's comments have pointed to the first possibility, but so far nobody has replied by pointing to any specific PADI requirement on DMs that might be relevant. My comments have pointed to the second possibility, but again, so far nobody has replied by pointing to any specific PADI requirement. Even if PADI simply has a requirement that a PADI-affiliated dive op agrees to follow all laws and regulations relating to boats, nobody including Wookie has yet been able to identify a USCG or other regulation that specifically addresses this situation.

Nice Coast Guard lady got back with me. It is not expressly stated that the operator must remain on the vessel. What is stated is that the operator is in command of the vessel, and must be in control of the vessel at all times.

I would not want to make the case that I am in control from some feet away, but then, I would never have to.

Nice Coast Guard lady got back with me. It is not expressly stated that the operator must remain on the vessel. What is stated is that the operator is in command of the vessel, and must be in control of the vessel at all times.

I would not want to make the case that I am in control from some feet away, but then, I would never have to.
After the line breaks and the coast guard chase down the unoccupied boat and tows the it back, do they keep the boat or just the captains license?

I like finding boats adrift offshore with no one on them. Sadly, they are usually crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom