Dive Boat/RIB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paintsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im looking for the cheapest possible setup for a dive boat. It will be used on Lake Mead, Lake Mojave, and the Colorado River.

So i was looking at RIB because it seems that they are cheaper then full boats, but since i might be wrong im posting this, and im still kinda open to a normal boat.

Im interested in the 16 - 20 ft range that will hold 10 divers and gear.

i found one that looks like a good setup but would not mind a non folding design either.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|343598|946620&id=942368

it would probably stay assembled anyways.

i know i want a steering wheel and throttle for the engine on a small console.
and i have no clue what engine to get either.

and as far as electronics go do i need anything on a some what small lake? i know i want a depth finder and gps just to find my way back and to be able to find new dive spots.

and obviously lights for night diving.

so i assume i would need an A frame to mount lights on and fly a dive flag off of.
and as far as tank storage, how would that work out? any commercial products out there or do i have to think something up myself.

i was wondering what the difference between a RIB and a aluminum floor were.
theres no waves on the lake so i don't need anything extreme, but i don't want an inflatable floor either.

sorry about all the questions but im just a noob at boats, but i will be taking a course on how to handle it safely and such after i get it.

Thank you all for the help in advance

I will get more hate but here goes, just buy a used 10 or so year old Boston Whaler 17' Montauk. Put a new engine on it when and if needed. Shop carefully for a clean and unmodified boat and keep it that way, look for one that is trailer kept, no bottom paint. In another ten years you will sell it for more than you paid for it. In the case of a RIB you will be lucky to give it away. BTW, I have owned three inflatable and still own one.

Tanks, get the Roll Control System, do a google. Mount the rails neat and clean so it looks professional and it will not detract from the boat. Put Dr-Dek on the deck to protect it. Get a VHF and a good combo depth and gps unit, anchor line and anchor, O2 cylinder etc. Nothing to it. Adios.

N

10 divers and gear in any boat 20 feet and under would be a Chinese fire drill. 20 feet= 4 divers. Plus RIB's aren't cheap, usually about 50% more than a conventional boat of equal size.

Captain is right! We dive fresh h2o in a 20 foot fishing boat-4 divers and gear and a couple of kid is tight. Our instructor uses a pontoon boat with a swim deck, much more room and used can be had reasonable. Just my $.02
Walt

I would second the idea of a pontoon boat if you are truely limiting yourself to flat water. They are cheap with lots of deck space and can handle gear banging aroung. They tend to be under powered which is OK for your purposes.

The Boston Whaler is an excellent boat if you want to be able to handle rough water / all weather conditions within reason. They a tough but expensive. They are also usefull for watersports and fishing. I would not mind having one myself - I currently own an 18' jet boat, less expensive but a terrible dive boat.

RIBS are special purpose boats, very good at specific task but you are limiting yourself if you go down that rout. You really have a small working area since you loose so much to the tubes. You have poor resale values since the market is very small. I mostly see them as tenders for cruisers and the military where they provide a small, safe platform.

I have a 18 ft rib and 3 can dive comfortable 4 you get tight for space and you can start to hate your neighbor, the good thing I do not have 3 other friends. What I like about a rib is that when all the others are home because of seas – we still get out there. It will do 35 kts flat calm or with 5 footers and the ride is nice and stable but then again we are not the brightest group that blow bubbles

I have to agree with the captain and fatboy rider. 20' you wont be able to get 10 divers on board comfortably. We occasionally use a 16' Zodiac Commando with console for short runs and its very tight with 3 divers, not a RIB but very durable. The pontoon boat is an awesome idea in sheltered areas. Wish the weather was a bit nicer here to be able to use one. A friend of mine just bought a commercial 29' Hurricane RIB ex-Coast Guard from a govt. auction...fully loaded for $30K. Google and see what you find.
Good luck

Thats an awesome vid...thanks for getting my heart rate up a bit. Very cool footage of them jumping over the Skook rapids...I know guys that surf there. Very hairy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom