Dive Boat "pros"~ what is their role?

Your paid dive buddy~ who are they?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only dived with a shop twice in the last 8 years or so and it kind of sucked. Being required to signal the DM about my air, feeling like an 18 year old with 200 dives was baby sitting me... was a bit of a pia....which is part of the reason I have tanks, boat, compressor. If I go to the Philippines, I dive with friends who have the same.
However, having DMed for a shop in the Philippines, where there are very strong currents, I fully understand the baby sitter mentality that shops employ. You can't have 8 divers, (I don't care how experienced they are) jump in at Yapak 2, or the channel drift with their own agenda. It would be difficult and dangerous as the boat crew could have a nightmare trying to find everyone, who could be scattered more than half mile apart due to currents.
I think it depends on the location as to whether a dive guide is needed and strict dive plans are adhered to.

An ongoing topic, and spawned from a now-locked thread...

You pay to go diving on a boat, whether it is a day boat on a Saturday near home or at an AI Resort for the week... who goes along on the ride that you're paying to go on?

For me the two environments change the answer.

Saturday near home I expect near nothing.

At a resort, given the amount of novices I expect it to be a DSD+. Not for me, but for lots of other certified divers they really are just DSD+s and I'd hope that they're looked after. I think it's a big bunch of money so they generally are. But a significant proportion (1/4?) are not independent divers. That's just my limited take on it.

But I don't think can compare expectations for both groups in the same poll. They're different kinds of divers.

I think most experienced divers have pretty much the same expectations from a DM. The three things I picked in the poll were in the 3 top percentages. What this boils down to is a boat full of mixed divers. I know it is difficult for the dive ops to split groups but not only is a newbie diver going to have different expectations but IMO the DM should have a different set of responsibilities. Now before anyone jumps on me for that statement, my point being, the chances of a newbie having any kind of issue (not necessarily a problem) is much greater than that of an experienced diver. Not only is it not unreasonable but maybe necessary, a newly certified diver should be with a dive professional for those first 10 dives.

For me the two environments change the answer.

Saturday near home I expect near nothing.

At a resort, given the amount of novices I expect it to be a DSD+. Not for me, but for lots of other certified divers they really are just DSD+s and I'd hope that they're looked after. I think it's a big bunch of money so they generally are. But a significant proportion (1/4?) are not independent divers. That's just my limited take on it.

But I don't think can compare expectations for both groups in the same poll. They're different kinds of divers.

Whats a DSD+s ?

Whats a DSD+s ?

Sorry, figment of my own imagination dreamt up after last now blocked thread.

The way that some OW divers are catered for in a vacation environment is not dissimilar to how DSD (Discover Scuba Diving aka fun dive/try dive) are catered for. I guess it's why I've felt that DM's in this capacity have a fairly big duty of care cos they're not dealing with the finished article.

But to be clear DSD+ only exists in my head. It is not a certification level although perhaps it should be.

What I expect from a DM:

I expect them to be an experienced diver who treats the underwater environment with respect.
I expect them to be familiar with the dive site and to give a briefing of features, profiles and things to looks out for.
I expect them (or someone in the dive shop) to find out about experience levels in the group (this does not mean sighting a log book, but at least means asking) to ensure that the dive site is appropriate for the divers they are taking out, in terms of currents, and minimum depths where there are things to see.
I expect someone experienced in safety and rescue procedures to remain on the boat, whether it is live or not. This person does not have to be a trained diver but does need to be trained and equipped in first aid and safety issues.

What I like from a DM

I like to have a DM in the water- but have had amazing dives without a guide.
I like them to point out critters- but if they don't, or can't tell me what they are, well, that's what my eyes and a good fish i.d. guide are for.
I like them to be able to support inexperienced divers if it has been made clear to them that the inexperienced diver requires extra support and if the DM has agreed to this
I like them to help out divers struggling with buoyancy etc if the DM can help without putting themselves in excessive danger

I would still use a dive company if there was no in-water support. I would be unhappy if there was nobody left on the boat. As a pretty new diver, having an in-water DM still enhances the experience for me, but I don't expect to be babysat. I want to have cool stuff pointed out, I want to be guided to teh best features of a site. When diving with a very unconfident friend with buoyancy issues, we made this clear to the DM first and she agreed to help; the site chosen was very suitable and the DM supported my friend throughout the dive. I would not have expected such support if we hadn't clarified the situation first.

Dunno, I think they are there to collect tips I would otherwise prefer to keep. They are just another expense. N

• A professional boat crew, and (especially) a captain that's a real seaman.
  • A quick description of the site.
  • Leave me alone. Every time you try to "help me", the tip goes down.

All the best, James

• A professional boat crew, and (especially) a captain that's a real seaman.
  • A quick description of the site.
  • Leave me alone. Every time you try to "help me", the tip goes down.

All the best, James

Yes,Yes Yes, all options go well for new divers,for me,just leave me and my wife alone.
New site,just give us a briefing,we just want to know whats where(aprox.)
We're not going to hold your hand and not going to follow,haven't done in the last 25 years,not gonna start it now.
On the otherhand IF you need/want a guide in our waters,we are happy to dive with anybody any time.
So it goes both ways,we won't but if you want we will.:D

Yes,Yes Yes, all options go well for new divers,for me,just leave me and my wife alone.
New site,just give us a briefing,we just want to know whats where(aprox.)
We're not going to hold your hand and not going to follow,haven't done in the last 25 years,not gonna start it now
On the otherhand IF you need/want a guide in our waters,we are happy to dive with anybody any time.
So it goes both ways,we won't but if you want we will.:D

Absolutely, it is nice to have the option for those that want it; well said.

<speaking exasperated to the DM>....I said, let go of my gear!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom