Dive boat procedures for administering O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This would be primarily addressed to dive boat operators, captains and divemasters.
I was on a local charter dive boat last week end and an incident happened that left me wondering. For the first dive of the 2-tank trip, I was buddied up with two experienced guys that I see often on this dive boat and I think I dove with them once before. Anyway they're photographers so the buddy team is "loose", especially when a non-photog like me joins in, we become SOBs (same ocean buddies). We got separated, as I went inside the wreck and they were probably snapping pictures of shrimp and stuff. Anyway, they came up a few minutes after me, after a great dive. 10 minutes or so thereafter as we were slowly getting ready to go to the reef for the second dive, one of the two buddies told me that his buddy couldn't move his left leg. I walked over to them and asked the "victim" what was going on. He told me that he was fine other than his left leg was numb and he could not move it. He said that at first both legs felt tingling but eventually only the left leg had the numbness and that he could not move it, his right leg only had tingling sensation. I told him he should inform the DM and ask for Oxygen. As other divers were getting ready to go in, our diver did not want to attract attention to himself (he felt self-conscious) and ask for O2. Eventually, after convincing him that he should tell the DM, he told the DM about the situation. The DM asked the questions about his symptoms, checked the guy's dive computer (I don't remember the data but his was a no-deco dive to about 100 feet, I don't think he was on Nitrox) for the log but seemed to think that it sure sounded like a hit. He told the captain, who then asked our diver if he had DAN insurance (he did) and called DAN. From this point on things get confused for me, as I could not hear the captain's end of the conversation with DAN and people were jumping in for their dive. My two buddies, the DM and captain urged me to go in with a group and not forfeit my dive so I jumped in... 45 minutes later I came back on the boat and enquired about the guy, who seemed fine and said that he was now OK. I asked the captain if they had put him on O2 and his response was "no, if we do we have to take him in". I left it at that but this answer has been nagging me since. I did not want to second-guess these guys, but I could not help but feeling perplexed about this answer. So if I understand correctly, every boat has O2 on board but it's just for show, or if you're spitting blood upon surfacing or something? If you're suspected of having a problem like that guy, the boat crew won't use O2 because it's a hassle and they have to report it and trigger some rescue mission with the USCG and all the red tape that goes along with that? What is the procedure? If this is the case I may consider buying my own O2 bottle. I always took for granted the fact that O2 is on board for your safety, now I'm not so sure. I wish dive briefings included info on what circumstances O2 would be administered on board. Sorry I made this long, please no flaming about buddy separation, etc. Dive professionals, your opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know what other boat operators might do, or why they might do it. On my boat, I encourage any diver who has any symptoms or even has had an incident that might produce symptoms to breathe oxygen. I also encouraage them to seek further treatment. I can't force them to do it, and I can't force them to go to a medical facility or chamber. I can only make recommendations and make oxygen and transport available to them. I would, of course, also log the incident in the ship's log.

O2 is the first line of defense against DCS. Spinal cord or brain damage from DCS is probably the most dangerous kind of hit, and has the most potential for long-term disability. That a boat would fail to put someone with clear-cut neurological symptoms on oxygen, I find utterly reprehensible. That a diver, whose leg didn't move, wouldn't be screaming bloody murder for the boat's O2 supply, I find incomprehensible.

If you ever find me on a boat with something that doesn't move, and the boat doesn't put me on O2, then woe betide the boat and its crew if I can ever move enough again to reach a keyboard. And heaven help them if I recover enough to manage a gun . . .

As a Captain and Instructor I'm surprised at the reaction of the boat crew.

Of course there may be other aspects to the story.

However... if a guest reported to me the symptoms you described... I would break out the o2 and offer it to them. If they accept I would call the day over and transport them in... I would (I have) called ahead to have an ambulance waiting at the dock. The guest could then on their own decline transportation or treatment.

My job... as I see it is in the event of a suspected DCI to offer o2, to monitor and to transport the person to a competant medical authority.

While no Captain wants to return early its just foolish to ignore a person with the symptoms as you have reported them.

They guy couldn't feel or move his legs, and people were still jumping in for the next dive? Anyone on the boat - captain, crew or passengers - that knew a diver may have taken a hit and STILL got in the water are all people I would never dive with again.

Suppose people decided to jump in for a 60min dive and a few minutes into their leisurely swim the guy went south fast? Of course you could go through the recall procedure, but that's eating up valuable time. It's one thing if the guy said "my elbow is a bit sore" but jeez loo-eeze - they guy couldn't feel or move his legs!

The folks I dive with would hold the diver with the suspected hit down, and if by then he still didn't "accept" O2 I think he would find the mask duct-taped to his face while the captain headed in at about 25kts.

Perhaps the boat crew likes to be sued, hasn't been for a while, and wants to increase their chances.

Very stupid decision on the part of the crew, IMHO. Let's see, let everyone have a great day and the one diver have permanent disability or start O2, abort everyone's dives and return for immediate transfer to recompression chamber and better chance of full recovery of injured diver. Tough call, not!!
Seems like a no-brainer to me. If I'd been on board I would have used a little weight as a doctor and insisted that we get the victim immediate help and O2.
Hope they have good liability insurance if they plan to continue making decisions like this!

TSandM:
O2 is the first line of defense against DCS. Spinal cord or brain damage from DCS is probably the most dangerous kind of hit, and has the most potential for long-term disability. That a boat would fail to put someone with clear-cut neurological symptoms on oxygen, I find utterly reprehensible. That a diver, whose leg didn't move, wouldn't be screaming bloody murder for the boat's O2 supply, I find incomprehensible.

If you ever find me on a boat with something that doesn't move, and the boat doesn't put me on O2, then woe betide the boat and its crew if I can ever move enough again to reach a keyboard. And heaven help them if I recover enough to manage a gun . . .
AMEN!!!

I find this report very difficult to believe. It may well be true and accurate, but damn!

Yeah, if you, your buddy, anyone on the boat has those symptoms, don't suggest they talk to the DM. Get the DM and the 02 kit. It needs to be offered ASAP, and if accepted - great. The trip is over, but no quilt.

BTW, what in the hell were you doing enter a wreck...?!

Your profile says DM with about 20 dives a year? I am sorry, but that is a bad message to send to others reading your story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom