Dive Boat - Monterey 1/31?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So,
it looks like that I was too late to get any spot at Point Lobos :shakehead: .... and it seems that finding a dive buddy using ScubaBoard is almost impossible :depressed:

Does any one have at least a recommendation for a dive boat in Monterey?

Which one do you prefer?

Where does the boat bring you?

Thanks

AM

It's still not too late to connect with someone to dive 1/31. Usually people wait to see what the swell model looks like as the week gets underway, so be sure to watch the board by midweek next week. There's a good chance you'll be able to find someone.

Meanwhile, I think all the Monterey boats are good. some like Sanctuary and Escapade fill up fast cause theyre smaller. cypress Sea is always a good boat and I've had good trips on Monterey Express. Haven't dove off Beahchopper II but have heard people say its a nice boat.

Good luck and don't give up.

Hi,
just got in town and decided to sign up with the Cypress Sea. She looks like a nice boat on the web.

If any SB is on the Cypress Sea Sat. morning, stop by and say hello .... you can recognize me for my hat ... if I remember to bring it along :D

AM

If any SB is on the Cypress Sea Sat. morning, stop by and say hello .... you can recognize me for my hat ... if I remember to bring it along :D

AM[/QUOTE]

When you say SB do you mean spear board or scuba board ?

....When you say SB do you mean spear board or scuba board ?

ScubaBoard :D

Dives were awesome and the Cypress Sea 's crew is first rate!

Dive Site: Butterfly - Monterey
Dive Date: 2009-01-31
Dive Number: 208
Start Time: 9:40
Dive Buddy: Retired Prof. from UCSF
Bottom Time: 0:50
Max Depth: 89 ft
Water Temperature: 54 F
Water Visibility: 40 ft
Dive Type: Boat
Difficulty Level: Easy
I had a meeting in the Bay Area on Friday so I decided to bring my dive gear and get few dives in on Saturday.

I did try to get a spot at Point Lobos .... but it was too late.

But I got lucky anyway because I was able to get a spot on the Cypress Sea, that, as you can see below, was packed full !
cypress_sea.JPG

My buddy was a retired professor of marine biology from UCSF .... I wrote the name down on my iPhone .... but somehow it got lost :-(

Water seemed colder that in SoCal but visibility was a bit better than the one I usually see at Catalina.

Lot of colors here .... including some variations of hydrocorals
hydrocoral.JPG

and this "yellow rose" ..... what is it?
yellow_rose.JPG

Since I was diving air, my time at 90ft was quite short (at least according to my very conservative computer) so after 10 minutes at depth I started my very slow ascent .... that lasted almost 30 minutes.

We were able to easily find the anchor line and slowly ascended to our safety stop at 15ft right underneath the boat. But when it was time to ascend the final leg we looked up and noticed that the boat was not there to be seen anymore.
We were perplexed ... and started to look around for the boat. Finally, out in the distance we saw other divers swimming toward the boat. We followed them and ascended.
cypress_sea2.JPG

When on the boat the mistery was solved .... the wind did pick up and the boat was rotating around.

The diving was quite outstanding. FYI, the first dive was Butterfly Outer Reef. The second was Inner Pinnacle. & you are right 50°F is colder than I have ever seen in SoCal.

I see your buddy in the top picture, but I don't know his name either.

Dive Site: Inner Pinnacles - Carmel / Monterey
Dive Date: 2009-01-30
Dive Number: 209
Start Time: 11:56
Dive Buddy: Retired Prof. from UCSF
Bottom Time: 0:40
Max Depth: 84 ft
Water Temperature: 54 F
Dive Type: Boat
Difficulty Level: Easy

Second dive of the day after a nice and warm surface interval; my buddy was diving nitrox and he was the last one to get the airfill :)

Capt. Phil
capt_phil.JPG

gave us a nice briefing on surface
inner_pinnacle.JPG

and underwater attractions

We saw more hydrocorals
hydrocoral2.JPG

and lot of anemonies
anemonies.JPG

Unfortunately our time was up and we needed to ascend to our safety stop with the kelp
safety_stop.JPG

and return to port
cypress_sea3.JPG

It was indeed a nice trip .... and I plan to be back diving in Monterey soon
time2go.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom