Dive boat exit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best practice - keep it in until on the boat. That being said, I rarely do it. Most times I am talking to the boat, and thus the reg is out of my mouth. I always have air in my BC when on the surface, so I know I'll be bouyant if I fall off. Also, I am aware that I've got 4 options when it comes to breathing in such a situation - breathing the fresh air, primary, backup, and BC (via inflator - if it comes to that).

In the end the DM should have just told you that his boat requires what it requires. It shouldn't have been any more than that. He was not wrong in what he said, but he was entirely wrong in how he said it.

The DM had no reason to be rude, and make no mistake that was rude. We're talking about "best practices", not immediate safety issues.

The polite way is to say "You're better off with the reg in your mouth till you get onboard"

In this situation I might yell back "I can't breathe from the reg, the half empty tank you stuck me with is down to 0 psi" Now, he can at least yell over a real safety issue.

jbd:
For the guy that got to the ladder alledgedly before the other one was off the ladder and in the boat they don't want to risk the diver on the ladder falling on you.

I know, that's why I shrugged it off, but you have to wonder what this guy was looking at, since the other guy was already off the "swim platform" and sitting down taking off gear...

I think he just wanted to stand there and tell people when they could touch the ladder. He was busy anyway, staring at the hottie's on one of those snorkle boats about 30 yards away :wink:

MEL-DC Diver:
Now that is funny. Good come back line.

Yes, very funny. My problem is that I’m like George on Seinfeld and only think of the good stuff after the fact.

Thanks guys, your right he should have pulled me aside and discussed this. I had my girlfriend give a tip to the captain which probably went back to the guy anyway.

Think about the reg dangling and catching on the ladder as you fall back in the water or catching on the ladder as you step onto the boat and pulling you back. Keep the reg in your mouth.

One aspect to look at also in this situation.
I like to keep the reg in my mouth when climbing the ladder for the simple reason that I have seen the reg catch on one of the rungs of the ladder as the diver was climbing it. It's not a good idea either to try and hold onto your reg with your hand while climbing, for obvious reasons.
The hanging hose is also the reason I don't do the 'throw my inflated BC over the side of the boat and put it on in the water'.

Just another aspect to look at while exiting.

rottielover:
Apparently it's common practice to yell at divers on the ladder of a dive boat ?

I got yelled at for grabbing the ladder because "the diver in front of you has not cleared the area!"... ? you mean that guy over there sitting on the bench taking his bc off?

Not sure, I just kinda shrugged it off

Ive had that happen to me in a similar situation.I was on a boat a while ago where it was pretty choppy.The crew was lining us up on the platform and as somone moved off the ladder,the next person moved over to the ladder and somone took his place holding the platform.While I was holding the platform,the boat took a big wave,moved backward toward us and down all at the same time,and hit me in the stomach.As the bow went down and the stern came up, I was literally thrown onto the platform.Where the mate proceeded to yell at me for being on his platform and not the ladder.Then for not waiting my turn.

Hey truck1, I know exactly what you mean! Getting yelled at for something you didn't mean to do stinks...

Still, I think I'm gonna chalk it up to crew frustration. I'm sure they get day-in and day-out a bunch of nuckleheads. They've probably seen "it all" on thier boat.

Hell, if I do something boneheaded, I expect to get yelled at (if not smacked :) ), but if I'm doing things the way it was breifed (as was the case on that particular boat), or if you get knocked over by a wave, I think it's time to chill out!

People are human (well most of them), so I tend to cut them some slack most times, it just seems like reading the boards we get a high number of posts from divers commenting about getting yelled at for various reasons. Mostly I chalk this up to people tend to remember the "bad" things, and don't remember the "good/pleasant" things nearly as much/well.

EDIT: I should have added: Despite that 1 thing, everything else on that boat trip was a blast! That boat crew has gotten the most ammount of a tip ($$$$$) I have ever given any boat crew. (I should further note I have only been diving on a boat once so far, :) )

Its all about safety, as a DM myself I would not have yelled at any one for that, maybe pull them aside quietly and explain why it is practiced but not to call someone out in front of everyone. I leave mine in until I am on the boat, again just incase I should happen to fall back in my reg is already in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom