Dive boat exit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't comment on the manner in which the DM said this, because I wasn't there, but he should not be criticized because he said it. This is the way students are taught to do exits and there are good reasons for it. Even if you have a reg readily available reg, you could still fall in the water and get a mouthful before you recover the reg. Ordinarily, this isn't much more serious that a coughing fit, but an unexpected mouthful of salt water has been known to lead to some pretty serious accidents. When you are ascending the ladder, touching the ladder isn't really the issue, you should stay clear of the ladder until the previous diver is completely clear. I am sure the dive operator's insurance company would have a heart attack if they did not follow these procedures. The DM is not a jerk because he insisted on these procedures. Whether he's a jerk because of the way he insisted, well, that's another question.:D

Don - very well said. I was thinking the same thing when I originally read the post.

divingjd:
I can't comment on the manner in which the DM said this, because I wasn't there, but he should not be criticized because he said it. This is the way students are taught to do exits and there are good reasons for it. Even if you have a reg readily available reg, you could still fall in the water and get a mouthful before you recover the reg. Ordinarily, this isn't much more serious that a coughing fit, but an unexpected mouthful of salt water has been known to lead to some pretty serious accidents. When you are ascending the ladder, touching the ladder isn't really the issue, you should stay clear of the ladder until the previous diver is completely clear. I am sure the dive operator's insurance company would have a heart attack if they did not follow these procedures. The DM is not a jerk because he insisted on these procedures. Whether he's a jerk because of the way he insisted, well, that's another question.:D

No one every specifically told me to keep about the reg during my training (OK - that I remember) but during the first post-cert dives that I did, there were much more experienced divers on the boat and they all climbed the ladder, sat down and then took out their reg. I certainly wouldn't have objected to being told - politely - but I'm glad I noticed their procedure before anyone said anything to me.

I would even go so far as to say that some behaviour might be 'yell-worthy' but unless it's a immediate safety issue, I think people are much less like to hear the message delivered in that fashion, and react by being embarassed and angry, when the response to another approach might be "Oh, good point."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom