dive boat capsized in Placencia belize 23 miles offshore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glue

New
Reaction score
I just wanted to inform the peeps here of an incident that happend while I was in Belize.

A small dive company took out 8 divers and 2 snorkelers for what was supposed to be a 4 hour dive trip with a lunch BBQ. After the groups second dive a storm moved in and they were trying to return home, the captain became lost 23 miles offshore and proceeded to head south which was the wrong direction. eventually the boat ran out of gas, the captain decided to drift and the boat hit the barrier reef and capsized. some people were stuck under the boat for up to 5 minutes or so. The group of divers were stranded at sea untill 3:30 am when they were found. over 14 hours in the water being smashed on the reef. everyone was fine, just cold, a few lacerations, a few black eyes, bruises, etc.

I just wanted to post this so people know what to look for in a dive boat in some of these remote places where dive companies run really loose operations. Its almost criminal for a dive outfit to subject customers to this type of service. I was not on this boat, but I did get a chance to talk to 6 of the people who were on the boat...they were staying at the resort we stayed at "The Turtle Inn". The Turtle Inn actually organized the search even after this dive shop said they had everything under control. The 3 boat search effort launched by the Turtle Inn was the crew that eventually found the capsized boat.

I. the boat was a single engine...bad idea if your going 21 miles offshore to the reef.
2. there were only 2 life jackets on board. we all should check for this before leaving the harbor
3. The captain should have anchored the boat when he ran out of gas and informed the passengers its going to be a long night. instead he decided to drift and capsize.
4. GPS??? less than $100.00 bucks these days. everyone should have one in the dive bag.
5. check the equipment such as the radio etc. This guy had one, but it was broken!
6. ask tough questions don't assume because you see a PADI or NAUI emblem on the door that these people are legit!

You left out water - it's a good idea to take along a gallon of water for each diver.

KazInAz:
A group of us were there last year....any idea on the name of the dive shop?
Also had to wonder why none of the divers had a compass.....

Kaz

The dive shop was called "advanced diving dive shop" The word from other dive shops down there the next day was that the captain was familiar with landmarks on the mainland, when the storm blew in the mainland was not visible anymore thus he was lost. They even tried to hush one of the divers when he suggested everyone put there BCD's on. "they didnt want to alarm anyone"...regardless they hit the reef less than an hour later. Doh! :11:

as far as the compass...not sure? I do know that the reef is difficult to navigate as far as points of entry go with a boat. we dove with Brian from "seahorse dive shop" they run a good outfit, and he knows the waters well. Brian used to fish these waters for the last 20+ years. he was very concerned about how this incident would affect his business.

Hi there turtle inn travelers
seen your story on the boat incident and thank you for it
i want to book a trip with the turtle inn because of there guarantee on seeing whale sharkes in mar. - june
who did you book your trip through ? was the diving any good ? did they boost of any sighting ? is it near roberts grove ? r.s.p. as soon as you can please as i havent much time to book a flight thank you

After reading this I have been asking around Placencia as to what happened. Three local people told me that some of the divers insisted on going across the open water to Glover's Reef on a pretty rough day. They got back late and the captain couldn't see to come in through the reef. Most of the folks here agree that the captain should have just said no. All agree that the lack of life jackets was inexcusbale. But this is in no way indicative of all the dive operators in Placencia. Hank

Hack:
Hi there turtle inn travelers
seen your story on the boat incident and thank you for it
i want to book a trip with the turtle inn because of there guarantee on seeing whale sharkes in mar. - june
who did you book your trip through ? was the diving any good ? did they boost of any sighting ? is it near roberts grove ? r.s.p. as soon as you can please as i havent much time to book a flight thank you

Turtle Inn is closer to Placencia town and about a mile and a half or so from Roberts Grove. There is no guarantee that you will see whale sharks. They do come through but sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.

Belize is a phenominal place to dive, but I did see some shady operational stuff there as well. You really have to watch for yourself while diving, especially when in some of the more losely regulated areas.

One of the worst things I saw there was on one of my favorite all time dives, the Blue Hole. Two of the divers on the boat with us (total about 10-12) were on their first dive since open water certification, and we maxed over 150ft! To make matters worse, one of the two novices also had an underwater camera with him for the day. He bashed into everything. I asked one of the DMs to try and reign him in a bit, but nothing was done. The only satisfaction I got was while watching him from a distance, I saw the novice kick off the DMs mask while going for another photo on a drift along a wall later in the day.

Once again, Belize is amazing, but there are some small time operators there, that are probably concerned with little more than trying to stay solvent.

On the other hand, a native DM named Andy who worked at the small dive resort we stayed at on Ambergris Caye, Gaz's, was one of the best DMs I've come across in almost twenty years. We dove there in small groups. He kept us all well tended while not baby sitting, and he seemed to know every inch of every dive, including having a personal relationship with some of the wildlife. Pretty amazing guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom