Dive-Alert Horn -- Discussion wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't remember us ever discussing the Dive Alert Horn.

So I'm curious what our membership thinks about it. Please cover the good, bad, ugly, left, right AND center.

I use a Dive Alert anytime I'm in open ocean, especially out of sight of land, as in the Gulf. Spotting a diver on the surface from a distance can be danged near impossible in even small swells so it's a safety tool for me.

I've never had the rolling problem with it that Stone mentioned. Mine fits very securely and has never moved from the position it was in when attached.

It is VERY loud. Do NOT hit that button unless you and your buddies have at least your ears underwater!

Downside is it's cost. IIRC, mine was around $60.

I carry mine clipped off in my left pocket....
Should it ever be needed it is available but conveniently out of the way and posing one less failure point....

As Dee said it is very loud and you really have to be careful not to damage your hearing or anyone elses nearby....

If you use one be sure to give fair warning to the other divers to protect their ears, even with hoods on in can hurt.

Careful on the really cold dives. the dive alert can (will?) freeze up when used. This happened to a friend of mine on a New England winter dive.

Ralph

I put mine on about 60 dives ago, it has not moved from the position I installed it in. Thankfully I have never needed it.
Of course they would not help at all in an out of air situation.

mike

Camper,

If the device used by your DM sounded like a lower frequency quack, it may have been a "Hammerhead" which is an UW signaler that does not work well as a surface signaler. Conversly, the "Dive Alert" is a great surface signaler that does not work that well under water. Those are the only signalers I am familiar with.

I have one. I have not had any problem with it. And I do use it underwater to get my buddies attention -- I try to avoid excessive use so as not to add noise pollution -- but, generally, once people I am diving with are familiar with it, it just takes a short "beep" to get their attention.

I just checked Leisure Pro - there are 3 sizes, but the most generic one is $29.95 - the other sizes - for specific integrated octo's etc. are $42.95.

I haven't purchased on yet - but I have considered it - I do mostly quarry diving - but it might nbe nice ona boat dive (as Dee discussed) and as an underwater signalling device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom