Dive #100 - #105 , First Wreck Dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So... after 1 yr. an 99 Quarry Dives... the Stash hit up Lake Huron this weekend with several other GLWC members (you jus' Know their gonna chime in so I wont name 'em :) )

Sat. dive #100 and my Firstest wreck dive, was the Mary Alice B. , great first wreck dive as it is small and intact, easily identifiable as a ship (as opposed to pieces of wreckage strewn about)... got to take the wheel inside the pilot-house like I'd see in pictures... :)

then we did the Regina and the Northstar , loved 'em both , lots of nooks an crannies to peer into... think I like the Northstar the best tho' out of the 3...

Sunday was DEEP DAY... we did the Checotah, the New York and the Col. Williams... ranging from 75' - 120'.

Oh damn is that water cold! , anywheres from 38-42 (depending on whose computer you looked at) ... cold pulled us outta the water long before air or deco obligation did!

My only incident was losing the ascent line on the Northstar and having to do a 100-150 yd. surface swim to the dive boat (sorry Keith!)... guess I'm gonna have to buy an smb now...

I'm sure there's more to elaborate ,but.... I'm lazy... and will leave the telling to my posse.... (ok its Ted's posse Really)

exciting stuff! I seem to recall a new diver last spring that I met at White Star....Good times! (and I hope to be there this week, again). Those Huron dives are classics, so I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Maybe we'll meet up again soon!

It was a great time diving this last weekend. Wish the weather would have cooperated more with us. Sundays dives were really nice (albeit cold) with the surface of Lake Huron as smooth as glass. Oh, and a special thanks to those divers who paid for the weekend but decided not to dive. We enjoyed the extra space! :wink:

I will have pictures on my facebook later this evening and will post.

Nice diving with you this weekend Matt. Especially since this was your first Great Lakes Diving. I thought we dove some pretty nice wrecks, the weather could have been nicer. Sunday's water seemed colder than Saturday's water, but I guess that's the price you pay for glassy smooth water. Now if everyone would just get their pictures posted.

Here is the trip report from my view.

8 of us from the wrecking crew and one from ScubaToys (we wont hold that against him:D) Chartered Brunos dive shop and their boat the Great Lakes Diver. After some serious worrying about The boat we Arrived Saturday Morning to a Boat, Rick and Keith and Jeff our captain.

We had quite a few Great lakes cherries to pop on this trip so I decided to start off the trip with a couple easy and well known wrecks.

dive 1 Mary Alice B. a steel tug. Sunk sometime in late 60 or early 70's under suspcious circumstances. This wreck is fully intact and upright.

my computer
Max depth 88 Ffw
25 min
45 deg temp

Dive 2. The Famous Regina sunk during the great storm of 1911 or is it 13 either way several ships went down in this storm along with the Regina. All hands on deck were lost. This is a 233 ft long package freighter. It now lies upside down in about 75ft of water. The debri field is the best part if you can get your buddies to go with you to look at it.:D

my computer
73 Ffw
30 min
46deg

We headed back after that dive to get some Much needed lunch and some Air fills. After a 45 minute rain delay we headed out for the last two dives of the Day.

The first one was the North Star it sank after being hit by its sister ship northsomething. This wreck is HUGE and it is Broke in half it is very easy to get disoriented on this wreck as some of our divers found out. To Me the best part of this wreck is the two HUGE boilers that rise up from the bottom.

my computer
90Ffw
24min
43deg

The last dive of the day was supposed to be on the sport another tug but this one is wood. After arriving at the location and not finding any marker bouyes. We did a search pattern for well over a half hour. The group almost unanamously voted to scrub the dive and call it a day.

After a much needed Hot shower and even more needed Dinner at the Forrester Inn with a great bunch of friends it was time to head to bed

Sunday morning I decided to scrub the whole day. I had, had enough for the weekend and I wasnt feeling a 100%

The rest of the group dove the Choctah the New York and the Col. Williams. I will let them fill you in on what transpired on those dive..

So... after 1 yr. an 99 Quarry Dives... the Stash hit up Lake Huron this weekend with several other GLWC members (you jus' Know their gonna chime in so I wont name 'em :) )

Sat. dive #100 and my Firstest wreck dive, was the Mary Alice B. , great first wreck dive as it is small and intact, easily identifiable as a ship (as opposed to pieces of wreckage strewn about)... got to take the wheel inside the pilot-house like I'd see in pictures... :)

then we did the Regina and the Northstar , loved 'em both , lots of nooks an crannies to peer into... think I like the Northstar the best tho' out of the 3...

Sunday was DEEP DAY... we did the Checotah, the New York and the Col. Williams... ranging from 75' - 120'.

Oh damn is that water cold! , anywheres from 38-42 (depending on whose computer you looked at) ... cold pulled us outta the water long before air or deco obligation did!

My only incident was losing the ascent line on the Northstar and having to do a 100-150 yd. surface swim to the dive boat (sorry Keith!)... guess I'm gonna have to buy an smb now...

I'm sure there's more to elaborate ,but.... I'm lazy... and will leave the telling to my posse.... (ok its Ted's posse Really)

Congrats on finally getting in some wreck diving! As for "pieces of wreckage strewn about" think of it as a jigsaw puzzle waiting for you to piece together in your mind.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom