Ditching the Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like great advice. Thanks everyone. I'm going to see if my guages pop out of the boot in a useful fashion, if not, I'll figure out what to do from there.

I guess I'll look into the Uwatec bottom timer mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Looks like $139 on leisurepro.

Anything special I need to know about DIR watches?

Thanks,

-k

I just popped my Suunto out of the console...no worries.

(Suuntos are awesome for "modularity"...I also took my compass SK-7 from my console and bought the Suunto strap for it...instant wrist mounted compass).

If you are using a bottom timer...I'm not sure you need another watch for your DIRF. I just wore my Vytec and that's it, nothing else was said. If you are looking for a secondary timing device, any dive watch would work but I'd make sure it was able to track minutes and seconds clearly (digitally or with a bezel). Nothing fancy.

Does anyone keep a secondary timing device in their pocket?

put out a call for a Suunto strap, you could've had mine for nada...

Dang...

Thanks cyklon for the retroactive offer...I won't let you know what I paid for it when I did it about a year ago...ouch...who says there is no money in dive retail...and people like me dumb enough to pay...(note to self...always ASK what it's going to cost prior to telling the LDS to "just switch it").

As sort of a note, this past weekend at Dutch Springs I noticed my SPG hose leaking as I got into the water. Thankfully BillB had a spare reg set in the back of his truck, with a console attached. Grunzster and I went back to shore and I replaced my SPG with Bill's console. I couldn't believe how much I didn't miss having that mass of stuff dragging off my side.

Anyway, when I got rid of my console, I just used the SPG from it. Has a plastic back, says Sherwood across the front. Works fine. I had gotten an older, identical one filled with water... and I proceeded to dismantle it. It took about 25 strong hammer hits with the gauge on *concrete* to even begin to crack the back. I don't think you really need to worry about a plastic SPG if you can find an inexpensive one. Of course, a nice brass one will be much better. But I'd just keep the one I had.

jonnythan:
As sort of a note, this past weekend at Dutch Springs I noticed my SPG hose leaking as I got into the water. Thankfully BillB had a spare reg set in the back of his truck, with a console attached. Grunzster and I went back to shore and I replaced my SPG with Bill's console. I couldn't believe how much I didn't miss having that mass of stuff dragging off my side.

Anyway, when I got rid of my console, I just used the SPG from it. Has a plastic back, says Sherwood across the front. Works fine. I had gotten an older, identical one filled with water... and I proceeded to dismantle it. It took about 25 strong hammer hits with the gauge on *concrete* to even begin to crack the back. I don't think you really need to worry about a plastic SPG if you can find an inexpensive one. Of course, a nice brass one will be much better. But I'd just keep the one I had.
Just checking... mine's a Dacor. I already removed and wrist-mounted the compass and depth gauge that came with it (very big console). I've been using teh wrist-mounted depth gauge at least since dive #2 at least - I found I just wasn't remembering to look at my depth often enough when it was dangling by my side, and when I looked at my SPG, I'd forget to look at my depth at the same time, so I'd have to fetch the console again. The wrist mountings solved that problem.

BTT

I have to add one question here, sorry to bring the thread back to the top.
Can you use a hose mount can holder for the DG? I dive with an Atmos II as my primary and use my DG and a watch for backup. OR is the hose mount going to cause issues in DIR fundamentals? Also, is there an appropriate arm for the compas to be on?
What are the standards for placement?
thanks
and again, sorry for bringing this BTT
Greg

Actually I *applaud* you for using an existing note so this information isn't spread throughout a bazillion different notes because people can't be bothered to do a search before posting a question.

Yhea, it's not DIR and since the DIRF class is a class about being DIR, it'll be a problem. I assume you're talking about putting the DG on the SPG hose. This is clipped off at your left hip all the time, so you'll have to constantly unclip it to check your depth, not a good thing. To hold your depth at a deco stop (simulated in the DIRF) you'll have to leave your SPG hose unclipped and in your hand to help hold the stop, which will cause problems in emergency situations (donating gas, etc.)

Plus, the "clasped hands in front" position the DIRF class encourages puts the DG, which is on your wrist, smack dab in front of your face, where it should be...

Compass on left wrist, DG right wrist.

Roak

Ahhhh, I understand now. I saw a lot of the hands clasped, but haven't been through the class YET. It got re-scheduled for later in the summer. One of the problems with not having a GUE instructor in Colorado. HINT HINT HINT HINT......
thanks

kaliban:
Can anyone make some suggestions on decent guages that are as affordable as possible? Anything I should avoid? Is there some criteria the gauges need to meet?Oh yeah, any advice on buying a watch and a BT would be appreciated as well.-k

I won't comment on the pressure gauge since everyone already has. For a compass I would go with nothing else than a Sunnto SK7 the tilt on these guys are sweet. For a BT you should look for something that shows your time in minutes and seconds. If you don't get one that shows seconds you'll wish you did later on. I also like the downloadable feature on a BT so I can look at my profiles. My choice would be the Suunto D3, has everything you want and is the cheapest for what it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom