ditching sp s600/mk25 looking for equal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea:
Thats a good idea. As far as the other regs, part of the decision will be the amount of LDS's that can serve them. That'll keep me from being locked into one shop as I am now. Do you know of any that'll do SP reg via mailorder?

I couldn't think of the name when I responded before (hate getting old). Try this guy:
http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=14510

You might also ask DA if he would consider adding MO service.

The problem with most warrenties is the annual service requirement. Unless you are doing a lot of diving or taking poor care of your equipment, it may be excessive. Some shops may inspect, not do an unnecessary service, and charge accordingly. Other have a hard time turning down $100.00 in the black column, regardless of what service they actually do. After hasseling with high prices and bad service a few time I went the DIY route. But if you really want the warrenty, I'd look at those regs that only require service every 2 years.

Last year at this time 4 instructors at out shop got rid of their scubapros and now none of us use them. Well all use either the Aqua Lung Legend LX's or Apex Black Pearls.

Why did they get rid of them? Because every single one of them froze during checkout dives. Not a good thing. They all came with the cold water kits installed too.

Personally, we choose not to hose good customers who may skip a year now and then on the annual service. SP does not track the annual service history on individual regs so it is largely a dealer call on how much they want to bend the rules to accomodate a customer. On the one hand you do not want to alienate or hose a regular customer and on the other you do not want to abuse Scubapro and their free parts for life program. So it is a balancing act calling for soem dealer discretion and judgement.

When our local dive shop acquired the SP dealership from an out of business dive shop, we did what amounted to a general amnesty as it was not possible to call the previous shop to determine for sure when the last service was done or even if it had been bought there rather than on-line. Most divers are, believe it or not, not going to be able to hang on to last years service slip or their purchase receipt for a whole year until the annual service is due. We saw no reason to treat the entire customer base like cheaters or criminals so we gav ethem the benefit of the doubt. The response was superb with customers who were otherwise very nervous about having to go to the old SP shop's sworn enemy for service being pleasantly surprised and impressed with both the service and the freindliness.

Most SP dealers I have spoken with, with a few noteable exceptions, indicate a preference to offer warrantly service in slightly to a whole year out of warranty situations for good customers and indicate that they will not deny waranty service on a did-not-buy-it-here reg owned by a regular customer unless they know for sure it was bought on line.

As for an expired warranty, it can be re-instated easily. All that is required is for the diver to cover the parts costs for the next annual service at which point it will again be covered under warranty for future services. Many SP dealers are a bit off on this one as some seem to be unaware that this is even a possibility or at least don't like to admit it.

The recommended SP rate for labor is $25.00 per stage and parts kits run $10 to $15.00 per stage. So for an in warranty reg, you really should not be paying more than $75 for a first/second/octo reg set. If you need to rehabilitate the warranty, parts for that annual service should not run over $30 to $45. SP has no MSRP on parts so dealers can sell them at cost to give you a break. Many however will choose to use parts sales as another revenue source.

SP dealers will get 3 sets of parts per year for each rental reg in the shop and the result is that many shops end up with a lifetime supply of Mk 2 Plus and R190/R390 and sometimes Air 2 kits, so it is not unreasonable for a shop to provide those parts at no charge to a good customer with a warranty problem just as a customer service gesture.

So it all depends on the shop and where they fit on the greed versus customer service continuum. If you have a shop that is maxing out the greed end of the scale, consider sending the reg off for service but first just go in and have a heart to heart with the owner. Explain what you expect and that you would prefer to do busienss locally but that you also have other options. Some SP dealers have noted that many SP customers do not ask for the 10% discount the dealer can give and will pay whatever is charged for service without question. These tend to be long standing SP customers from the old days when SP stuff was in general much better than everything else and the attitude was that you paid more because it was worth more. This also had a lot of snob appeal for many customers. This marketing model does not work anymore given the quality of the current competion, but some dealers are slow learners.

awap:
I went the DIY route.

YES!!!!!!!!! but how. I am a gadget freak. I build/play with r/c cars, race cars, restorations, paintball guns, reals guns etc. I know how to disassemble them all and rebuild customize etc. Regs are only thing I have never tried because it is life support equipment. It is not the kinda thing if it fails, I can just try something else (unles I survive).

DA Aquamaster:
Personally, we choose not to hose good customers who may skip a year now and then on the annual service. SP does not track the annual service history on individual regs so it is largely a dealer call on how much they want to bend the rules to accomodate a customer. On the one hand you do not want to alienate or hose a regular customer and on the other you do not want to abuse Scubapro and their free parts for life program. So it is a balancing act calling for soem dealer discretion and judgement.

When our local dive shop acquired the SP dealership from an out of business dive shop, we did what amounted to a general amnesty as it was not possible to call the previous shop to determine for sure when the last service was done or even if it had been bought there rather than on-line. Most divers are, believe it or not, not going to be able to hang on to last years service slip or their purchase receipt for a whole year until the annual service is due. We saw no reason to treat the entire customer base like cheaters or criminals so we gav ethem the benefit of the doubt. The response was superb with customers who were otherwise very nervous about having to go to the old SP shop's sworn enemy for service being pleasantly surprised and impressed with both the service and the freindliness.

Most SP dealers I have spoken with, with a few noteable exceptions, indicate a preference to offer warrantly service in slightly to a whole year out of warranty situations for good customers and indicate that they will not deny waranty service on a did-not-buy-it-here reg owned by a regular customer unless they know for sure it was bought on line.

As for an expired warranty, it can be re-instated easily. All that is required is for the diver to cover the parts costs for the next annual service at which point it will again be covered under warranty for future services. Many SP dealers are a bit off on this one as some seem to be unaware that this is even a possibility or at least don't like to admit it.

The recommended SP rate for labor is $25.00 per stage and parts kits run $10 to $15.00 per stage. So for an in warranty reg, you really should not be paying more than $75 for a first/second/octo reg set. If you need to rehabilitate the warranty, parts for that annual service should not run over $30 to $45. SP has no MSRP on parts so dealers can sell them at cost to give you a break. Many however will choose to use parts sales as another revenue source.

SP dealers will get 3 sets of parts per year for each rental reg in the shop and the result is that many shops end up with a lifetime supply of Mk 2 Plus and R190/R390 and sometimes Air 2 kits, so it is not unreasonable for a shop to provide those parts at no charge to a good customer with a warranty problem just as a customer service gesture.

So it all depends on the shop and where they fit on the greed versus customer service continuum. If you have a shop that is maxing out the greed end of the scale, consider sending the reg off for service but first just go in and have a heart to heart with the owner. Explain what you expect and that you would prefer to do busienss locally but that you also have other options. Some SP dealers have noted that many SP customers do not ask for the 10% discount the dealer can give and will pay whatever is charged for service without question. These tend to be long standing SP customers from the old days when SP stuff was in general much better than everything else and the attitude was that you paid more because it was worth more. This also had a lot of snob appeal for many customers. This marketing model does not work anymore given the quality of the current competion, but some dealers are slow learners.
Thank you for that information. If I should expect to pay approx. 75-100 dollars for service then thats fine. That is what I always expected to have to pay. The warranty means nothing to me. Getting a hit for $160 for yearly service, now we are talking differently. Knowing what an average cost of parts kits is leaves me a bit more educated to decide whether or not I am getting hosed. Knowing this, if a fair price is quoted, then I will continue to deal with them and Scubapro. If the price is way off base, then its EBAY and another more serviceable brand. Oh, and I never knew about the 10%, I just paid what I was told it costs because "it is the best". I am an idiot for not doing more research.

oversea:
YES!!!!!!!!! but how. I am a gadget freak. I build/play with r/c cars, race cars, restorations, paintball guns, reals guns etc. I know how to disassemble them all and rebuild customize etc. Regs are only thing I have never tried because it is life support equipment. It is not the kinda thing if it fails, I can just try something else (unles I survive).

They are really quite easy. Don't let the "life support" thing scare you. While there are many good techs around, there are also minimum wage shop monkeys who couldn't change spark plugs doing regulator service. Most things that you can screw up are readily detectable as you do some post service testing at the kitchen table, in the sink and bath tub, and in a pool or shallow dive. Best place to get started is here: http://airspeedpress.com/
Even if you decide not to go the DIY toute, it $50.00 worth of equipment knowledge that more divers should have. There are lots of special tool available but only a few that you need to do a good job. Try the book and if you decide DIY is for you, the help is available. You just have to ask around. There are even some sympathetic shops out there if you are knowledgable and look hard enough.

Good Luck

awap:
They are really quite easy. Don't let the "life support" thing scare you. While there are many good techs around, there are also minimum wage shop monkeys who couldn't change spark plugs doing regulator service. Most things that you can screw up are readily detectable as you do some post service testing at the kitchen table, in the sink and bath tub, and in a pool or shallow dive. Best place to get started is here: http://airspeedpress.com/
Even if you decide not to go the DIY toute, it $50.00 worth of equipment knowledge that more divers should have. There are lots of special tool available but only a few that you need to do a good job. Try the book and if you decide DIY is for you, the help is available. You just have to ask around. There are even some sympathetic shops out there if you are knowledgable and look hard enough.

Good Luck
Thanks for the link. It seems like a good start for doing my own work and at 50 bucks, its propably well spent.

Does anyone know where to get scubapro reg parts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom