ditching sp s600/mk25 looking for equal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of first stage flow rate, there is no equal. In terms of cracking effort/work of breathing etc, there are probably several high end regs that can match it. The reality is though that most of the responses you get here are going to be whatever is the posters favorite reg and may have little or no relationship to how it actually performs compared to a MK 25/S600.

Just curious here but while I can see dumping a reg for something better, when you mention getting a reg "equal to", it implies that you are satisfied with the Mk 25 S600 which begs the question of why do you want to "dump" it.

DA Aquamaster:
In terms of first stage flow rate, there is no equal. In terms of cracking effort/work of breathing etc, there are probably several high end regs that can match it. The reality is though that most of the responses you get here are going to be whatever is the posters favorite reg and may have little or no relationship to how it actually performs compared to a MK 25/S600.

Just curious here but while I can see dumping a reg for something better, when you mention getting a reg "equal to", it implies that you are satisfied with the Mk 25 S600 which begs the question of why do you want to "dump" it.

I don't have any problems with it, just my LDS and the Scupapro rhetoric. I p/u another reg I had (non scubapro) from service and it cost me 157 bucks. O.k., so what, it was in bad shape (got it for free) but fixed, is supposed to be a great reg. Then I got the scuba pro speech about their free parts crap for warranteed regs. My s600 is not warranteed, and my air2 was but because I did not get them maintained last year that warranty is void also. I was basically left with the impression I was going to get hosed come rebuild time. As there are really no other SP dealers nearby I was considering going with a brand that is servicable amongst a broader variety of shops, so if another shop should aggravate me, I can go elsewhere and not be locked into a specific shop. So in short I like the reg, hate the dealers. I also need to buy an octpus or backup second stage and with this most recent experience, I am considering avoiding scubapro. What should an averege regulator rebuild (anybrand) with parts kit cost (ballpark)?

I've got the SP X650/Mk25 and I can't say enough about it.

I agree with Aquamaster though, why would you want to replace it?

That being said, I've heard good things about Apeks and Atomic Aquatics (supposedly ex-SP people that started their own company).

If your LDS has given you the impression that he intends to hose you, I'd be real surprised if he disappointed you. For a price baseline, I found Mk25 kits for about $14.00 and S600 kits for about $12.00 (GE site that will not ship to USA). I'd guess under $10.00 for the Air2 kit. There are a number of mail-order places doing reg service that advertise reasonable prices. That may be a route to free you from and LDS you are not comfortable with without replacing a good reg.. After all, who is to say that the Apeks LDS will be any better?

awap:
If your LDS has given you the impression that he intends to hose you, I'd be real surprised if he disappointed you. For a price baseline, I found Mk25 kits for about $14.00 and S600 kits for about $12.00 (GE site that will not ship to USA). I'd guess under $10.00 for the Air2 kit. There are a number of mail-order places doing reg service that advertise reasonable prices. That may be a route to free you from and LDS you are not comfortable with without replacing a good reg.. After all, who is to say that the Apeks LDS will be any better?

Thats a good idea. As far as the other regs, part of the decision will be the amount of LDS's that can serve them. That'll keep me from being locked into one shop as I am now. Do you know of any that'll do SP reg via mailorder?

oversea:
I don't have any problems with it, just my LDS and the Scupapro rhetoric. I p/u another reg I had (non scubapro) from service and it cost me 157 bucks. O.k., so what, it was in bad shape (got it for free) but fixed, is supposed to be a great reg. Then I got the scuba pro speech about their free parts crap for warranteed regs. My s600 is not warranteed, and my air2 was but because I did not get them maintained last year that warranty is void also. I was basically left with the impression I was going to get hosed come rebuild time. As there are really no other SP dealers nearby I was considering going with a brand that is servicable amongst a broader variety of shops, so if another shop should aggravate me, I can go elsewhere and not be locked into a specific shop. So in short I like the reg, hate the dealers. I also need to buy an octpus or backup second stage and with this most recent experience, I am considering avoiding scubapro. What should an averege regulator rebuild (anybrand) with parts kit cost (ballpark)?

So what you're saying is that it is Scubapro and your LDS'es fault that you didn't bring your equipment in for it's yearly maintenance?

Rebuilds are expensive, regardless of brand, which is why having a SP is a smart idea. Practically bulletproof product, great warranty as long as you get them worked on yearly.

Derek S:
So what you're saying is that it is Scubapro and your LDS'es fault that you didn't bring your equipment in for it's yearly maintenance?

Rebuilds are expensive, regardless of brand, which is why having a SP is a smart idea. Practically bulletproof product, great warranty as long as you get them worked on yearly.

No not at all. I know/knew I'd have to pay for the parts, thats not the issue, its the attitude that went along with it that P.M.O. and considering he's the only local dealer I'd either have to suck it up or go for a different brand. Besides, from what I understand parts kits are not all that expensive, but I am sure they are through this guy. No one in any business is going to hold me locked, I am the customer with the money and will gladly take it else where. I spent a fortune with this guy and continually get hosed. I found another shop locally (not so local) but will work but does not handle scubapro. What should a non warranteed scubapro reg rebuild cost? I'll pay fair parts and labor but no more.

I recently switched from a MK25/S600 to an Atomic B2, and I'm very happy with the switch. And one benefit of several models of Atomic regs (not all, though, so check or ask first) is that you only need to get them serviced every other year (for the warranty to stay valid).

I dumped a MK25/S600 and 2 MK25/X650s and replaced them with 2 Atomic M1s and a B2 with an SS1. I couldn't be happier with them. IMHO they breathe better than my X650s did. The Atomic people are ex-Scubapro guys who left to form their own company. The recomended service interval is 2 years, and the warranty is not dependant on maintaining the recomeded service schedule. No free parts though (but the labor was the most expensive part of my last SP overhauls anyway). Machine tests and specs don't tell the entire story. Personal recomendations are subjective at best. You owe it to yourself to check them out. Try to find someone who will let you try one under real world conditions. My instructor let me try one of his M1s when I complained about my recently serviced MK25/X650 whistling. The next day I bought Atomic and Ebayed the Scubapros.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom