Ditchable Weight - DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anti-Hero

Contributor
Reaction score
***EDIT***

<shame>I just noticed the post about weight pockets, 3 posts down... </shame>

Last edited:
The question to ask is why do you want ditch-able weight. if you are a wreck diver you probably dont , in fact you may not even use weights at all and if your a cave diver you really dont want to ditch weight.

Tech diving requires multiple tanks which are often steel and back plates and other equipment which makes us lucky enough to not need much if any weight.

because I dive cold water with heavy undergarments and usually aluminum tanks I have a 8lb V weight and also a weight harness for recreational diving but even then I would rather not have any of my ballast be removable.

I don't know if the research mode is buggy or if the previous posts on this topic were erased.
The feeling that I had from what I saw and I think is the following:

All depends on the situation.

You are not diving in overhead condition (open water)
You are diving in a wetsuit (you probably shouldn't dive with a steel tank in that case)

The message was, if you are correctly weighted and you can't go to the surface with empty wing and full tank, then you need some ditchable weight.
The thing is you don't want all the weight ditchable in one heavy belt.

I personnally use SS backplate and heavy STA for open water dives and keep a small ditchable belt.

The question following was more ambiguous: do you wear it under or over the harness ?
i wears it under and the buckle is kinda under the harness to avoid any accidental release.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom